David B. Grinberg

Thanks for the insightful feedback, Henry.

I especially like your point about digesting a diversity of news rather than relying on one source, or a number of sources, reflecting a single ideological viewpoint. Even if a news consumer is an ideological extremist who only tunes into Fox News Channel, Rush Limbaugh, and conservative digital content – or vice versa — it still makes sense IMO to know what the other side is saying in order to effectively counteract it and comprehend the full scope of divergent perspectives.

You’re right, Henry, that one need not choose between strictly new media or traditional media. However, there has been a conspicuous convergence of traditional and digital news accessed via social media platforms — which I find to be an interesting trend. For example, a lot of folks get news from Twitter or Facebook, however, these social media sites are merely intermediaries for traditional news content — which remains important and influential in driving the overall national news agenda.

On a personal note, I continue to consume traditional media content through social and digital platforms. I no longer receive home delivery of the Washington Post, for instance. I do, however, pay close attention to the nightly network newscasts (albeit via DVR) and the front pages of the NYT, WSJ and Wash Post because traditional media still drive the national/global news agenda.