David B. Grinberg

Words of wisdom, Mark, very well put.

FYI — Yes, I feel safe during my metro commute from Maryland to DC. Likewise, I feel safe in my federal workplace. You should too.

I recall being in my federal building downtown on 9/11 and having to evacuate. I recall the panic, fear and uncertainty that gripped the city and the country in the days, weeks and months that followed. Since then, an untold number of high-level and unseen security measures have been put in place in the Washington area and enacted into national law (Patriot Act, etc.).

By the way, my agency conducted a shelter-in-place drill today. On Tuesday, during a large meeting in a conference center, the hosting official began by acknowledging the Boston bombings. He then pointing out where all of the emergency exits are located and specifically where people should go in case of an emergency evacuation.

And while it’s reassuring, smart and prudent to have plans in place and security enhanced, let’s not forget that ordinary citizens need to be proactive and alert to their immediate surroundings. If you see something, say something, like DHS keeps reminding us.

Inflicting fear, panic and uncertainty on the masses is a major goal of terrorist acts. Don’t let yourself be a victim. Rather, fear not.

We are safer and more prepared today than a decade ago, both in the nation’s capital and nationwide. We live in America, land of the free and home of the brave. Let’s try to remember that and keep things in perspective.