Jaime Gracia
Participant

David – Since no one has jumped, let me respond. First, let me say I am not anti-anything, other than nonsensical policy and rhetoric for political purposes that leads to bad policy. I believe that to be the case in this instance.

I believe this argument is from a lens of “reducing waste,” as government proponents of this policy are under the assumption that government contracting personnel are overpaid, and the taxpayers are footing the bill. Not only has this not been proven, but many studies seem to be intentionally misleading, especially those whose politically-motivated methodologies do not take into account long-term costs of benefits and pensions for government employees. Further, these studies also do not take into account simple market realities, especially as they relate to the government contracting environment.

This wrong-headed policy wants to cap pay for ALL contracting employees, which may hinder attracting top-talent for critical and complex missions, especially those with specialized IT, intel, and cyber skills that the government lacks. It is a supply and demand issue, as salaries go up with experience, skill-set, and value.

That is not to say I am in favor of exorbitant salaries for any contractor, or federal employee for that matter. However, The Government Accountability Office, at the direction of Congress, has already started working on its assessment of impacts on salary caps.

Why not wait for the report to be completed before moving forward on policy? This could be creating more regulation and policy that do not make sense for political point-scoring, cause more harm than good, and exacerbate the continuing anit-contractor attitudes fomented by this Administration which frankly has always been pervasive in government.