David B. Grinberg
Participant

I think the U.S. military, along with the national security and intelligence communities, deserve the utmost respect, praise and trust for keeping America relatively safe in this dangerous and unpredictable post-9/11 world.

Perhaps I'm the only one around who actually places too much trust in these institutions of government whose mission is to protect and defend America. I'm no constitutional lawyer, thus I won't attempt to apply legal theory and/or case law to the Fourth Amendment or whatever constitutional violations are allegedly being made via "Big Brother" surveillance and intelligence gathering techniques to safeguard the homeland.

I do, however, think it's absolutely amazing that America has not been subjected to a massive 9/11-style terrorist attack, or much worse, since 9/11/01. That's a track record I'm willing to stand by and pledge allegiance to.

Despite one of the most toxic political climates ever in Washington, the majority of Democrats and Republicans stand in unison when it comes to defending America. As Machiavelli famously put it, sometimes the "end justifies the means."

And, yes, sometime it does based on one's opinion and beliefs. Everybody is certainly entitled to their own view and I know that mine it probably not the most popular -- especially considering all the typical media sensationalism we often observe in coverage of "Big Gov" related stories.

Moreover, as one my esteemed colleagues noted in another post, most folks who think they are able to have a semblance of "privacy" (based on one's definition) in today's digital/mobile/virtual high tech world have been badly mistaken for some time now or are just playing dumb.

If the new normal means that I, as a U.S citizen, have to sacrifice some personal "privacy" for the overall good and national security of America then I'm happy to do my part any day of the week. But that's just me.

On a lighter note, I'm sure George Orwell would be pleased to know that "1984" is still so popular in 2013.