David B. Grinberg
Participant

Great question, Steve. I’m sure you must have several thousand connections.

I have built my network to over 1,000 first-degree connections. I try to be selective in accepting invites.

I think you have to strike the appropriate balance between quality and quantity — which is based on a personal subjective analysis. However, the best solution in my view is to have both quality and quantity to the extent possible. This is what I strive for in building my network to the max. Some do’s and don’ts

• If I don’t know the requester, but their profile interests me, I will first send a message asking how we know each other and if our paths have crossed. I may accept depending on the answer.
  • I usually don’t accept invites from interns, staff assistants or other low-level professionals, especially outside of my agency — unless we know each other, etc. (sorry if that makes me a LinkedIn snob).
  • I usually don’t accept invites from folks with a minimal number of connections and boring profiles unrelated to my interests.
  • I usually do accept invites from fellow group members on LinkedIn and other sites.
  • I usually do accept invites from folks who read and comment on my blog or other posts.
  • Another good rule of thumb is: if in doubt, leave the requester out — ie. don’t accept, at least not yet. You can archive the invite and always connect later if you change your mind.
  • You can find me here if you want to attempt connecting. Thanks.