Top 5 Tips

1. Communicate with management

2. Communicate with others in your office

3. Communicate with others outside of your area of responisibility

4. Improve your Communication skills

5. Be available for Communicating

<GRIN> Sorta!

Comparison to INC. suggestions

• Although in a lot of cases, it isn't terribly practical, would add an area dedicated to work, (no kitchen, living room, bedroom etc.)
  • Work rather close with your IT department in either getting GFE IT equipment or maintaining your BYOD at a very high level. (This can be an expensive downside to teleworking)
  • Not sure that I agree with Inc. regarding getting out of the "home office" to work.
  • I treated trips out of the office, medical visits, non-work related visits with other people, as time required for a leave request or at the very least as time that I was expected to make up in order to give my employer the effort that I was being paid for.
  • do I think there is much to be gained in dressing up for the office,
  • Found that if I was to dress "business casual" I accomplished as much if not more than putting a coat and tie on.
  • I found that a rather cost effective solution to the business phone vs. home phone was to put in a second line.

Initially, especially during the last 6 years of fulltime teleworking, I tried to be of the mindset I was being paid to work 40 hours a week during the hours of 8 to 4:30 with a 1/2 hour lunch break... After a short period of time I changed my mindset to the idea that as long as I covered the core hours (10 to 2) my purpose in my work life was to accomplish the agreed to results. Found that everyone appreciated my attention to results, and were not overly concerned about the hours that I worked..