Mark Hammer
Participant

I often think that the single biggest security risk is the innate human need to want to trust people and hope for the best. People who do bad things all too often exploit those holes; one of the many reasons why security guards and similar personnel are regularly rotated to new locales, even if it only means guarding a different entrance every hour. It is hard to suspect that which one is too familiar with.

At the same time, the very thought of a world in which we suspect any and all, in the name of “security”, is generally not the sort of world people want to live in, and the chronically suspecting are not the sort of people one wants to work alongside. This is why I describe trust as a basic human need.

It’s a tough call to find the magic balance between just enough trust, and just enough suspicion. Grant us all the wisdom to find it.

We’re dealing with our own tragedy in town today. A commuter bus somehow went through a barrier at a level train crossing, and a train sheared the front off the bus killing the driver and 5 passengers, and sending 30 to hospital. Not all the names of the deceased have been announced, but it wouldn’t surprise me if a number were public servants, given the bus route, and time of day.

There’s a lot of folks who go to work at the Navy Yards or other defense installations, and come home safe, night after night, year after year, just as there are a lot of folks who take the bus to work in from the suburbs, day after day, year after year, without incident. It’s going to be hard for many to learn to trust those paths again, no matter how hard they want to.

Sorry Steve, I should have had a question.