Julie Chase
Participant

Yes, Mike, please keep pushing. You don't realize what you have until it is gone. And it's going fast. The hiring freezes (at least where I am) needs to be lifted so we can get some bodies in here and take some of the work off the back of those on the bottom of the food chain like me, who are taking up the slack for the last 3 yrs.

I think it would be more efficient to have HR services delivered locally. Centralized processes at a larger (nearby) installation would bring it closer to home. The communication is basically a blurb on USA JOBS stating that your qualifications did not meet....blah, blah, blah. And who wants to go through the bother of asking...why???? Wouldn't it be easier to say, "You didn't make the cert because there were 5 minimally qualified vets ahead of you." These are things the young grads don't "KNOW". They just think if they apply and have a 4.0 GPA and have a stellar resume, they are in like flynn. I have asked about college degrees. On some job announcements that request/require college, there is the blurb "OR".....credible education courses and experience. So that kinda/sorta makes the BS degree unimportant ....as a disabled vet or vet will have "credible education courses and experience." You see, I "ask" the questions....and I push until I get the answer. Sometimes the truth hurts. It's the truth none the less. The sample I gave you is regarding a college grad with 2 degrees in Industrial Eng., & CAD drafting. The kid didn't get the tech job, it went to 30% vet. As the rules state, it should have. But there are young people that don't "KNOW" that. And HR isn't about to tell them the truth because, as they are now, will quit applying altogether. Even though it is said that fed wants new blood, innovative ideas....et al, (I see this on many discussions on GovLoop) they are not going to get it because of the way the hiring system is set up.

Maybe you have some say so, Mike on how to simplify the hiring process or can forward your ideas to whomever. It is a start. I also took note that other than Earl and I, once the "truth" got out about the way things are supposed to be done.....some of the GovLoopers fell off of this discussion. Some will say it's too "negative" so they stay away or the realization that it's not an overnight fix. Me, I think it's the former. GovLoop isn't know for hard hitting discussions. (my opinion)