Sherry Taylor
Participant

Good morning,

I just wanted to point out that when you refer to “government” procurement you are referring to the feds. There are more and more members that do not work for the federal government.

I work for a local government and our procurement system isn’t perfect, but I would not describe it as broken. We do have our challenges but we have really worked hard to stay abreast of best practices and innovations, where allowed. We do training for our departments all of the time, both in-person, e-training, and mixed. In our trainings and in our affiliation with the National Institute of Governmental Purchasing, we constantly emphasize ethics.

Having said that we are always looking for efficiencies. One of the things we do is try to get involved at the planning stage. It’s at the planning stage that you have the most options available. We try to make ourselves available to our (internal) customers and to go out to their location frequently. We make strides to develop a collaborative relationship.

I know that our rules (governed by state acquisition and contracting laws) are different. I appreciate the thread and the chance to reply.

Regards,

Sherry Taylor