1 Gov’t Twitter Hashtag? Should we consolidate?

Home Forums Acquisitions 1 Gov’t Twitter Hashtag? Should we consolidate?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 7 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

@NoelDickover wrote on Twitter
    There are tons of gov’t Twitter hashtags – especially #gov20 #opengov #gov2 #ogov

Should we consolidate and pick one?

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

We have over 25 gov’t related hashtags on this govloop dataset
    http://data.govloop.com/Government/Government-Related-Twitter-Hashtags-Directory/p4k9-nu2u

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Couple thoughts:
    #gov20 is broader to me than #opengov
    #opengov tied to Open Gov directive. Open gov plans. May become tied to this administration

Other hashtags needed for items such as procurement, HR, and other gov’t discussions. That’s why over 25

Alexander B. Howard
    Participant

Steve, I agree on the validity of @NoelDickover‘s point about channel fragmentation. That’s where strong community leadership helps a bit, though the atomization of the audience makes this a real challenge.

I gravitate towards using #opengov because it’s what deputy White House CTO BethNoveck chose for @opengov. I see #ogov but in less frequency. It’s shorter, true, and an easier analogue to #egov, for e-governemnt, but I think that’s where the conversation has been established. That’s why I tend to use #opengov, not #ogv.

I also agree with Gwynne that #opengov & #ogov are not equal to #gov20. #gov20 has been quite community-driven and, in my observation, remains is a broader category that includes more than just the use of social technology by or for government.

I see Gov 2.0 is an umbrella term that includes #egov, #weGov and #opengov. It might even include #igov, for interactive government, depending upon Apple’s involvement.

Just #gov or #govt is akin to “just Web.” The Web of 1995 & that of 2010 are different. The same is true of government use of new technology to achieve its mission more efficiently, effectively or inexpensively, i.e. Gov 2.0.

My two cents.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Great comment Alex.

Personally I’d kill of #gov2 and #ogov…stick to #gov20 #opengov

Here’s another by @gwynnek on Twitter
    i dont think #opengov and #gov20 are the same. Open is more re the policy and OGD and gov20 is broader. cc @GovLoop

Justin Grimes
    Participant

I agree with Steve. While we have a lot of hash tags floating around, they usually are tied to something specific like an event, conference, subtopic, etc. I think the problem is really just with #gov20/#gov2 and #opengov/#ogov and then maybe when to use #gov20 vs #opengov. My votes are for #gov20 and #opengov and I agree with @gwynnek that #opengov and #gov20 are two very distinct concepts with some overlap in a venn diagram sort of way…

#gov20 – the use of social media by government
    #opengov – anything relating to the political doctrine that government should be transparency and accountable (including but not limited to the recent efforts of the Obama administration or to the recent application of “open source” principles to government)

Excellent conversation! I think this is where it all began…@ariherzog asking pesky questions again 🙂

—————————————————————————————————————————————

————————————————————————————————————————————–

—————————————————————————————————————————————

My thoughts:

#govt = general government conversations
    #gov20 = tech/social media-related projects and news
    #opengov = culture change related to transparent, collaborative, participatory gov, data sharing (sometimes includes social media, sometimes not)

Chris Bennett
    Participant

Is there a tool to show how many times various hashtags were used, with a graph of their popularity over time? That would be cool.

Alexander B. Howard
    Participant

Yup. Hashtags.org, which links to Trendistic.

http://trendistic.com/gov20/_30-days

“Too little data” for #opengov:
    http://trendistic.com/opengov/_30-days

Hayley Easto
    Participant

“Government” covers a lot of ground – municipal, state/provincial, and federal employees in Canada and the USA all have slightly different angles and interests. Although there is plenty of overlap, not everything relevant to (say) American feds is relevant to a Canadian municipal worker.

One single consolidated hashtag wouldn’t be much use to me because there would be a very low ratio of signal (government stuff not tied to location or jurisdiction) to noise (stuff specific to American feds, e.g.). My preference would be for one broad big-tent one for high level discussion, and then others as necessary (for instance, one for provincial governments, one for Canada, one for energy policy, etc).

The number of Ontario civil servants on Twitter is certainly dwarfed by the number of American ones, but the power of Twitter is that it can make our voices heard too. A consolidated hashtag would make us disappear.

Chris Bennett
    Participant

Thanks Alex

Jaime Vogt
    Participant

I like #gov2 nice and short. But mostly use #gov20

Adriel Hampton
    Participant

Problem is that the use of #gov2 and #ogov is mostly outside of the US #gov20 #opengov usual suspects, and reflects a much more international community, including non-English speakers. So, I am not sure we can dictate this conversation, and it is why routed #gov20 retweets to the #ogov tag through @govwiki a couple months back after also experimenting with #gov2 (which I believe came into more common use through people typing #gov2.0, which tags as #gov2 on Twitter).

Ari Herzog

Perusing the other comments, here’s mine:

KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID!

😉

When tweeting about the government, use #government. Wanna shorten it? Use #govt.

Anything else is what Noel calls fragmentation and I either avoid it or don’t follow people using it. I know of “open government” but never saw hashtags about it.

I only use #gov20 when I want people who follow that hashtag to see the tweet. Else, I avoid it like the plague for versioning the web is meaningless.

Think about it. Do you see businesses evangelizing a #biz20 tag? Not me, and I follow many new media directors of private enterprise. Why should government be different?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.