3 Rules for Networking at Work

Home Forums Miscellaneous 3 Rules for Networking at Work

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 6 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

All,

A very relevant post from Harvard Business Review. Actually there are 6 rules. My most admired 3 are below.

Do you find value in this?

• Build outward, not inward. Don’t waste time deepening connections with people you already know. Get in touch with people in other teams or business units.
    • Go for diversity, not size. Rather than aiming for a massive network, build an efficient one. This requires knowing people who are different from you, and from one another.
    • Go beyond familiar faces. Identify the “hubs” in your company—people who’ve worked on a variety of teams and projects—and ask them to connect you to others.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Yes, I do find value in this and these three points really come in handy when you are working on a major project (external or internal) and need to meet a deadline and politics are involved. When you know all of the players beforehand and have established some sort of relationship it makes the project that you are working on so much better.

Very nice post.

JLS

Allison Primack
    Participant

These are all really good tips! Do you have any tips specific to students? I am currently in grad school and am interested in how to efficiently network so I can find jobs when I graduate!

Jeff Ribeira

Great list! My only addition is that I wouldn’t consider deepening connections a waste of time by any means. If you flit about your office getting to know people only on a shallow level, trying to amass a diverse “collection” of contacts, in the end I don’t think that’s really going to get you anywhere. It basically puts you in the genre of that-annoying-person-who-only-wants-to-get-to-know-you-so-he/she-can-ask-for-favors-down-the-road. Nobody wants to help, let alone be, that person.

So, in my opinion, I say while you’re diversifying your network and getting to know more people, it is actually incredibly important to continue to spend time deepening and cultivating the people that you already know. When it comes to people, it’s not always about quantity, but quality.

Jay Johnson
    Participant

Short and simple, I like it.

Anonymous

Go for the breadth and depth with contacts.

@Allison.

You’re doing fine. From what I can see, no real suggestions are needed. I look forward to hearing more about you!! Thanks – James

@Jeff

When i read your post, an adage come to mind;

It not what you say but how you say it.

There’s an art to networking. Timing is everything. Some people like their experiences fast-n-furious. They want the gist right away. Others want to spend time with you first. Just depends. Networking is an exchange. When you network make sure than you are offering something that the person wants from you. Sometimes it’s just having an “interested look” when they talk. It’s also knowing when to leave a person alone (for a while). How much time you invest depends on the value of their content to you.

But also remember,

How much time they invest in you, depends on the value of your content to them.

Just my thoughts Jeff. I look forward to your writings…..

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.