A Salute to Moms in Public Service

Home Forums Miscellaneous A Salute to Moms in Public Service

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew Krzmarzick 7 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Candace Riddle
    Participant

Happy Mother’s Day. What has been your most challenging, funny, exciting, rewarding experience as you have juggled your career and motherhood?

I am seeing my wife as a mom for the first time over the past 7 weeks. Seeing the commitment and time it takes to ensure that our son receives the care he needs at this age has given me a fresh appreciation for women who balance both work and motherhood. Seems impossible and yet there are many amazing moms/professional women doing just that!

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

My Mom didn’t work in government but she certainly worked and was an all-star in the workplace and the home. In this day age to raise two kids that both turned out alright is a pretty solid accomplishment.

Kathleen Smith
    Participant

This is also apropos given that today is Military Spouse Appreciation Day

Candace Riddle
    Participant

I’m the busy mom of a 4 year old son. He suprises me each day with his insightful comments, (ie. a “pot hole in the road is there because some body left their pans out in the street”). I manage to balance him, a full-time job and full time grad school. As busy as I am, he is my sanity.

As for major accomplishments in my day …. if all of the socks match up when they come out of the dryer…I count that as a bigger accomplishment than the research paper of the year!

Amanda Blount
    Participant

When they are young, you feel so guilty leaving them with sitters. When you work late, you just want to be at home. The dreams of afternoon naps, and being the perfect Mom go right out the window. You do what you can with the very little amount of time you have.

BUT, my reward has come in the last few years as my kids have gone off to college. My daughter tells all of her friends her Mom can do anything, and she credits ME for her success in all the things she does. At 21, she is an amazing young lady. When my 19 year old son was told recently that women could not be Special Forces, he was floored and said his Mom and other women he knows, are strong, smart, and can do anything a man can do. Why would the US not let women become Special Forces was beyond what he could imagine!

The fact that my 19 year old son will one day be one of the leaders in our world, and he did not think that women should be excluded from anything makes me beam with pride. He is going to be one of the men sitting in on interviews one day when a woman walks in for a job, and at 19 he is already thinking that women are equal to men, and he just can’t figure out why anyone would think different.

My daughter is doing everything she can to take over the world (or at least a small island nation). LOL

I wonder how they would have been different had I been different. I was a single mom for many years, and my daughter reminds me that even though I worked three jobs at times, she would have rather seen me do that, then stay with someone who was a bad influence.

So, yes, it is hard, and yes, I would have rather been a stay at home Mom… but, being a working Mom wasn’t so bad either.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Appreciation to
    -My mom who is a retired teacher
    -My step-mom who is a retired IRS employee
    -My sister who is a mom and current teacher

Sterling Whitehead
    Participant

Matching the socks…I think the Sock Gnomes get my socks every time.

I think the most challenging was the time I spent pumping, though overall the challenge is getting everything done in a day.

The funniest are definitely my son’s comments, but I think the best part was his mother’s day gift to me– a picture frame he painted that said, “I love my mom because she plays cars with me and takes me to work at her office.” LOL!

The best part is the perspective my son gives me about work. In the end, he will always be more important, and the ups and downs of a career are tempered by the bigger picture that he and my husband represent.

Candace Riddle
    Participant

@ Amanda

Thank you so much for sharing. The challenges of being a single, working mom can sometimes seem overwhelming. Nonetheless, it is an extreme feeling of confidence and pride to walk in the door at night knowing that you can have your cake and eat it too!

I too have done the three jobs at one time thing. I wanted to purchase my first home when I was 24 and my son was 2. I worked as a paralegal by day, waited tables at night, and worked for a media company on the weekend. I sacrificed about 9 months at 7 days a week and 18 hrs a day…but in the end I bought my home.

Now as I am preparing to move to Washington, my son looked at me and said, “Mommy, I love our house; can we take it with us to Washington”. I laughed, almost cried, and had to tell him that we would only be taking our toys. Nonetheless, I beamed knowing that he appreciated and loved his home.

It certainly is not the material things that matter in this story, but the principle that a hard working mom who is determined to provide a better life for her child will one day leave a legacy that very well could change the world.

I remind myself daily that the only lasting impression that I can leave on this world, long after I’m gone, is my son.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.