Acquisition Gone Wild: Need Examples

Home Forums Acquisitions Acquisition Gone Wild: Need Examples

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jaime Gracia 7 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Sterling Whitehead
    Participant

I’m looking for cases of poor acquisitions that can be highlighted for Young Acquisition Professionals. These can be prime learning tools for up-and-comers.

If you know of an good examples, just post a message below.

Jaime Gracia
    Participant

Go visit the GAO website and do a search. You’ll have to narrow your focus some due to the abundance of material.

Probably the biggest one in the news is the KC-X tanker, where NG threw in the towel due to alleged improper competitive practices that favor Boeing. Also in the news is the Coast Guard DeepWater program, Future Combat Systems (FCS), and most large weapons systems and technology procurements.

I.J
    Participant

Jaime,

I would just have to say that the Coast Guard Deepwater Acquisition Program should be highlighted as a case of turning around a program from initial missteps to increasing success.

Amanda Blount
    Participant

Here is one of the famous ones we use all the time dealing with Boeing. But, there are so many more.

http://www.wesupportthevets.com/gasttoday120804.htm

Just google Darlene Druyun, dragon lady and tons of links will pop up about this case.

But, she is not the only one.

Google – Kuwait contracting fraud, or any of those words linked with contracting and you would be amazed. I am ashamed to call some of them my leaders (some were Army Officers).

Anyway, it is sad, but you will not have a problem finding information for your research.

Jaime Gracia
    Participant

Absolutely. ADM Allen has done a marvelous job getting this program under control.

Jaime Gracia
    Participant

The Pentagon will notify Congress within the next several days that costs for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter have ballooned more than 50 percent since the program began in 2001, senior defense officials told the Senate Armed Services Committee Thursday.

The cost increase means the Pentagon’s largest program will breach the 1982 Nunn-McCurdy cost-control law, triggering a congressional review and forcing the Pentagon to prove the program is critical to national security to protect the Lockheed Martin Corp. fighter from termination.

Read Story on GovExec

Highlighting that acquisition is a life-cycle activity, which includes contract performance, contract administration, and those technical and management functions related to outcomes.

Sterling Whitehead
    Participant

Great info everyone. Thanks. I may compile these into a Dipity timeline. Might dub it Failed Acquisition, Suspicious Acquisitions, something like that. Hopefully it’ll look something like my History of American Acquisition timeline.

Matthew Potter
    Participant

C-5 and F-111 if you want good historical examples. The Standard Missile Block IVA is one of the best. It is used by Raytheon to teach their managers how not to run a program. Any large IT program for the government is always a good teaching tool.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.