Advice for Job Seekers - Attorneys (New to Gov't)

Home Forums Careers Advice for Job Seekers - Attorneys (New to Gov't)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan McQuighan 6 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

sheryl.alex
    Participant

In search of insider tips...leads for attorneys seeking employment with the Federal Government. I currently work as a Public Health Analyst with HHS but do not have many contacts/connections in legislation...would like to help out a promising, young attorney looking to build a career with the Feds. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ryan McQuighan
    Participant

Send me an email - [email protected]

Is it people in legislation that you are interested in meeting? We can help each other out.

sheryl.alex
    Participant

Preferably, I know attorney's may not always work in legislation as a Fed, but I figured that would be the most logical choice. They may be able to offer advice/suggestions on ways to secure employment in legislation or a related field.

Dennis Boyer
    Participant

I'm not sure how other states do it, but in WI the State Bar maintains a Government Lawyer Division with its own e-newsletter and special continuing legal education programs.

Allison Genco
    Participant

Hi Ryan--I'm an attorney for the Navy and my fiance is an attorney for Social Security Administration, looking to branch out into legislative or other similar alternative attorney careers. Would you mind if I passed your email address on to him? We're new to the DC region and I know he would like more legislation-oriented contacts. Thanks in advance. Feel free to message me through GovLoop or just reply to me on this thread.

Ryan McQuighan
    Participant

Hi Allison - Go ahead and pass my email address on. I have a few friends with Navy OGC and SSA.

If he has experience, I remember seeing a few positions on usajobs for a staff counsel position. I saw these with the DC government too. http://oag.dc.gov/DC/OAG/Services+for+the+Community/Employment+Opportunities/Supervisory+Attorney+and+Staff-Attorney+Positions

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.