Advice for Job Seekers – Attorneys (New to Gov’t)

Home Forums Careers Advice for Job Seekers – Attorneys (New to Gov’t)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan McQuighan 6 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

sheryl.alex
    Participant

In search of insider tips…leads for attorneys seeking employment with the Federal Government. I currently work as a Public Health Analyst with HHS but do not have many contacts/connections in legislation…would like to help out a promising, young attorney looking to build a career with the Feds. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ryan McQuighan
    Participant

Send me an email – [email protected]

Is it people in legislation that you are interested in meeting? We can help each other out.

sheryl.alex
    Participant

Preferably, I know attorney’s may not always work in legislation as a Fed, but I figured that would be the most logical choice. They may be able to offer advice/suggestions on ways to secure employment in legislation or a related field.

Dennis Boyer
    Participant

I’m not sure how other states do it, but in WI the State Bar maintains a Government Lawyer Division with its own e-newsletter and special continuing legal education programs.

Allison Genco
    Participant

Hi Ryan–I’m an attorney for the Navy and my fiance is an attorney for Social Security Administration, looking to branch out into legislative or other similar alternative attorney careers. Would you mind if I passed your email address on to him? We’re new to the DC region and I know he would like more legislation-oriented contacts. Thanks in advance. Feel free to message me through GovLoop or just reply to me on this thread.

Ryan McQuighan
    Participant

Hi Allison – Go ahead and pass my email address on. I have a few friends with Navy OGC and SSA.

If he has experience, I remember seeing a few positions on usajobs for a staff counsel position. I saw these with the DC government too. http://oag.dc.gov/DC/OAG/Services+for+the+Community/Employment+Opportunities/Supervisory+Attorney+and+Staff-Attorney+Positions

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.