American Military University

Home Forums Careers American Military University

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Nicole End 8 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Brian Bovaird
    Participant

Does anyone, either employers or students, have experience with American Military University? I am deciding on a Graduate program in Emergency and Crisis Management and I like the courses that this online program offers. My concerns are:

1. Is this a reputable program?
    2. Would I be better off going with a traditional brick & mortar based program?
    3. Are employers weary of online degrees?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide!

Nicole End
    Participant

Hi Brian!

AMU’s program in Emergency and Crisis Management is absolutely a reputable program. AMU is both nationally and regionally accredited and ultimately, that’s what matters — not whether your institution is virtual or brick and mortar.

When you’re looking for a job, it’s more about how you present yourself and what experience you have as opposed to whether your degree is from an online institution or not. AMU is great because it offers such niche programs and degrees such as Emergency and Crisis Management.

I’d say if you’re impressed by it and already interested, go with your gut. If you need some help deciding, there are over 1500 AMU students and alums in their Facebook group that are very willing to share their experiences both in school and in the career realm:
    http://www.facebook.com/AmericanMilitaryUniversity

Best of luck!
    Nicole
    [email protected]

Brian Bovaird
    Participant

Nicole,
    Thanks for your reply! Two concerns that I have from my research are the quality of course materials (i.e. outdated text books or ebooks instead of texts), and a nightmarish financial aid department which delays course enrollment. Are these concerns unfounded voices of immature students or issues that you have witnessed as an employee?

Nicole End
    Participant

Hi Brian,

I honestly haven’t heard complaints at all about the course materials. On the contrary, students have been quite pleased with the materials and furthermore, with the involvement, interest and quality of our instructors.

As for financial aid, I haven’t fielded complaints in that arena, but I do know that there’s quite a bit of red tape at any institution and for any student applying for financial aid, so I could understand why that process would take a bit of time.

One thing you can do is phone our admissions representatives and ask them these questions directly (877-777-9081). They would be able to give you a better and more clear idea of how long the process should take and what you can expect.

There will always be unhappy people, but if you wander over to Facebook, you’ll run into a bunch of very happy and satisfied students that can probably attest to their experiences with instructors, course materials and the financial aid process 🙂

I hope I was able to help at least a little bit, please let me know if there’s anything I can do for you!
    Nicole

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.