Any advice for Ph.D Student in Public Policy and Administration

Home Forums Careers Any advice for Ph.D Student in Public Policy and Administration

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sara Estes Cohen 8 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Hello

My name is Kimberly K Watt-Daniel and I’m a Ph.D student in the Public Policy and Administration program. I looking to transition into a new career. I own a small virtual assistant business and work as a case development associated. I would like to work for the federal government ,I enjoy recruiting/consultanting and I don’t mind traveling, if I could stay based in Milwaukee. Any advise would REALLY be appreicated on how I can start transitioning into this new field.

Thanks for any advice/suggetions

Sara Estes Cohen
    Participant

Hi Kimberly – what type of work specifically would you choose to do (if you could do anything), and for whom?

Since this will be a new field and career change for myself. My specialization is in Public Policy and Law I attend Walden. I’m very interested in women issues, civil rights and enjoy doing research.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

How many years do you have left in your PhD? Is it full-time or part-time?

I have 3 more years to go – 2014 and I’m a full-time

Sara Estes Cohen
    Participant

Kimberly,

I have a masters in public policy – prior to going to grad school I was a publicist. Public policy was the closest thing to my undergrad degree. I now work in web 2.0/emergency management – working with first responders/practitioners to leverage new and emerging technology (like social media) for emergency response, preparedness, etc. I have been working as a consultant for the past two years, but have also worked for a university and for a city (both in emergency management).

I’d recommend first looking at usajobs.gov – and searching by specific city/state (if you want to stay in Milwaukee). If you are interested in working for state/local government, I’d recommend searching out the city website (in New Orleans, all city jobs are listed on the city’s website, not sure if that’s true for everywhere.)

I’d also recommend reaching out directly to those individuals you can find who currently work in areas/offices you might be interested in. Perhaps you could collaborate with them now on projects and parlay that into a future position when you are done with your Ph.D – Finally, look for any groups/associations within your area that are related to your areas of interest. I have found that networking takes you VERY far.

Hope this helps =)

Thank you Sara for your advice I really appreciate it

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

If you are full-time, my assumption is you can’t do a full-time gov’t job. Correct? Do you have time for part-time or no? Some options would be to get an internship (summer or during school year).

Also use you research and classes to study public policy issues to talk to people you may want to work with

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.