Anyone else have friends getting Yahoo/Hotmail/Gmail hacked?

Home Forums Miscellaneous Anyone else have friends getting Yahoo/Hotmail/Gmail hacked?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Bennett 7 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

I've talked to a lot of random people the last few months and they've all had friends who's email has been hacked and then spam their whole contacts list with weird emails about spam/etc.

Anybody else seen this as well?
    Just last night, the person who watches my animals when I travel got hacked and was spamming folks.

Chris Bennett
    Participant

My hotmail (which I still keep but haven't used in years) got hacked a few weeks ago.

Elliot Volkman
    Participant

My hotmail account was also hijacked last week. I believe this may have been something other than a phishing scheme. I've tracked and reported on far to many Facebook phishing schemes to have fallen for that.

Emi Whittle
    Participant

Yes, at least 2 people, both Yahoo email users.

Denise Petet
    Participant

I don't know if it's hacked as much as having an address spoofed. I had a yahoo address that, when i checked mail, had about 20 bounced mails and realized maybe it'd gotten hacked. I changed the password and moved on. nothing else in the box seemed to have been accessed so i really don't know if they got into it or just spoofed it.

I know spammers used to - and probably still do - join yahoo mailing lists and download the whole membership registry, then will use those addresses to either send spam to or as addresses to spoof.

Spamming gets worse around the beginning and end of each month. My theory - all those 'work from home' schemes that are really sending spam, they probably have a monthly quota. The first week's spam is the over achievers, getting thier quota done, the last week's spam is the procrastinators trying to beat the deadline.

I also wonder just how secure yahoo, gmail, hotmail, etc keep thier mail lists. I once had a hotmail that i signed up for, never used, never gave the addy to anyone but it got spam, which suggested to me that either microsoft sold my addy or their general directory got hacked.

There seems to be no end to what these folks will do, and no one seems willing to even try to stop them. And, to a certain extent, why should they? Last I heard, spam mail was about 50-70% of all e-mail out there. Think of all the ad views Yahoo, GMail, Hotmail etc lose if they really blast the spammers (and you can't tell me that any mail with 'c1alis' in the subject doesn't scream spam)

there's no real penalty for the e-mail companies to crack down on spammers. They're their biggest customers.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

interesting...seems like spoofing as you said....

Lena Trudeau
    Participant

Happened to me a few months back, but in my case it was a story with a great upside...and I must say, it serves me right for not changing my hotmail address. For years.

One of those nefarious algorythms out there figured out my password and sent pharmaceutical ads to my entire address book. I decided, after rectifying the security problem, to send an email to everyone in my address book apologizing and giving a little update on where I am/what I'm doing. Which pushed me to update my address book when i got dozens of bouncebacks and, even better, allowed me to reconnect with dozens of friends and former colleagues I hadn't talked to in years!

A couple of friends swear by apps that if used, will re-spam the spammers and tie up their servers with thousands of emails...can anyone recommend apps that do this and are also cheap/easy to use? I'll follow up with a couple of folks who first mentioned this to me...will repost anything useful.

Tam Walton
    Participant

My hotmail account got hacked ... even though I know better, I hadn't changed my password in...well, never. No need to send me the nasty-grams. I know. Anyway, the only reason I found out was because one of my 'frenemies' forwarded it asking why I would dare send that....as if. But over 300 emails went out. Anyway, I took the dive and changed my password, and moved my really important mail to a .net account.

Gregory Butera
    Participant

I've been getting that particular spam from other people's hacked accounts for about a month now, most point to an online pharmacy. It was clearly spam, and you clearly didn't want to click on the tracking link that would probably install something on your pc, hijack your address book, and do it all over again. I did a google search on it when I noticed it was happening (I started getting email from people I hadn't heard from in years and it all had one line with a link in it...) and this site answered what it was for me so i didn't have to click on the link myself:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100912075430AAOFbYi and thought nothing more of it. And then one of my email accounts got hijacked.

I hadn't opened the spam link, I had deleted everything, and the account that was hijacked was a gmail account that I haven't used in over a year. When I received an email from "myself" I got suspicious, and logged in, and gmail told me my account had been compromised. Again, I have no idea how it could have happened, as I don't use the account much anymore.

So I changed all the passwords on all of my email accounts. I hope that takes care of it.

Nichole
    Participant

My yahoo account was just compromised yesterday. I changed my password and hopefully that fixed it. I did hear from a bunch of people I haven't talked to lately so that was nice but I'd rather skip that experience again.

Elliot Volkman
    Participant

I might add an important point to this. If your account was compromised, at times the individual will change your secret question or forward your e-mails to another account. Ensure these items haven't been changed in addition to creating a new password.

Denise Petet
    Participant

Or don't leave important passwords in your e-mail for reference.

I know I leave the mail for my Walgreens account in my inbox with the 'your current password is....' because their site is HORRIBLE to log into. I swear I have to reset the password every single time I use it. That said, someone wants to download photos of my neice, go for it. I use it for photos only, not the pharmacy.

but I'm sure there are other mails in there that have important passwords in them, so maybe it's time to clean those out and, while I change the password, make it so that if bad guys do get in there, they essentially get nothing.

years ago, back in the geocities day, I had an issue with yahoo claiming that my e-mail had been used for spam or something. I obviously hadn't, but try dealing with yahoo. Eventually, what got me my account back was me sending them a few links to web sites telling people how to easily hack into yahoo accounts....i had mine back within 24 hours.

they, and hotmail and gmail etc, COULD monitor things if they wanted to. I know massive numbers often make monitoring impossible to do however, but I also don't think they really care. A lot of spammers use these free e-mail accounts as disposible ways to send their junk, accounts are created, used and abandoned, probably thousands a day.

And while spamming might technically be against the law, it's rare that anyone is ever arrested and held accountable for it.

The most that can usually be done is blocking a domain, but since proxy servers and free wifi abounds, they just move from place to place to get around it.

Steve Radick
    Participant

My primary Yahoo! account that I've had for 15 years was hacked a few months ago and spammed everyone on my contacts list so bad, I had to move to another account. I still keep that account open for fantasy football, etc., but switched my primary personal email to another Yahoo! account instead.

Richard Wong
    Participant

I've been on both ends. I've received emails from friends whose accounts have been hacked, and supposedly my e-mail account was used to send spam. But I've been very cautious with my password, and I suspect that somebody captured a groupmail on which I was a recipient, and the spoofer sent out spam using my email address as the "sender" because there's no record of the spammed email in my "Sent Items" folder, and the email went out with only the address and not with my actual name listed as the sender. But I did change my password as a precaution, however.

Jacquie Rion
    Participant

This happened to both my and my brother's yahoo mail accounts. He's going to close his account, but I've been using mine as my primary personal email account since 1998, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I should've switched over to gmail years ago, I guess.

Denise Petet
    Participant

Thing is, any and every e-mail can get spoofed.
    One person at an office opens a 'bad' e-mail and everyone in their address book gets a virus or a spam e-mail.
    So you can get spam from a valid looking e-mail. Or they can get your work e-mail off your work website and spoof it.

Doesn't matter if it's yahoo, hotmail, gmail, from your ISP, any and every list can get hacked or stolen. All it can take is one person that you know sending you an E-Greeting card and your address is sold to a spam list (that's how some of those 'free' e-greeting cards make their money, they trade you a free card to sell your data to spammers)

The e-mail address that you never use can be sold by the company you got it from (G-mail, hotmail, yahoo, etc). All it takes is one careless person on your contact list to get your address spammed or spoofed.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.