Anyone used Uber/Lyft/Airbnb? What’s government’s role?

Home Forums Miscellaneous Anyone used Uber/Lyft/Airbnb? What’s government’s role?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Joe Flood 5 years ago.

• Author

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Anyone here used any of the new peer to peer companies like Uber, Lyft, or Airbnb?

If so, what has been your experience?

A lot of these services operate in a gray zone with murky laws.

How do you think government can support this type of innovation? Or should they?

Joe Flood
    Participant

Uber is awesome. They’re a little more expensive than taxis but clean, reliable and modern. So, of course, the DC Taxicab Commission has tried to put them out of business! They’ve fought Uber from the start because they feel that their mission is to protect cabbies from competition. They’ve tried to pass regulations outlawing Uber and failed time and time again, thanks to overwhelming public opinion.

Jovan Hackley
    Participant

I love Uber and Air BNB as a consumer for their responsiveness and ease of user experience, and I don’t feel that I’m in the minority. I think instead of trying to outlaw services like these, we need legislation or programs that encourage established businesses to innovate in new ways. Hard to think that Yellow cab or any of the other franchise Giants haven’t had the budget to pull an Uber-like experience off. There are tax incentives for starting a new business, couldn’t we invest in encouraging businesses to make life easier for our constituents? Example: A “make your user experience awesome” grant .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.