Are Co-Workers Making You Fat?

Home Forums Human Resources Are Co-Workers Making You Fat?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Ari Herzog 5 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

So a buddy of mine sent me a link to a WSJ article that basically puts forward the opinion that co-workers and the workplace culture in general is contributing to the obesity problem we have here in the US. Here’s the article: Colleagues Who Can Make You Fat and an excerpt:

Some 29% of people on diets say colleagues pressure them to eat more, make fun of their diets or order them restaurant food they know isn’t on their diets, according to a recent survey of 325 dieters by Survey Sampling International for Medi-Weightloss Clinics, a Tampa, Fla., franchiser of physician-supervised weight-loss clinics.

That sounds crazy but as someone who just did a diet I know at work was where I struggled the most. Futhermore I also know that my infamous cookie runs of the past probably tempted workers in a similar manner.

So what can we do at the office to battle this? I’ve heard of Biggest Loser competitions amongst co-workers but what else can we do to change to food temptation culture of the office?

Ari Herzog

Please.

Nobody but yourself can make you fat.

Corey McCarren
    Participant

I think the best way would probably be to bring lunch and stick to that. I know if I go to a restaurant I eat much less healthy than if I bring my own lunch (which is usually very healthy, the only problem is it never seems to be enough!)

Terrence Hill
    Participant

I agree. I only go out to eat lunch about twice a year. The other days, I’m either teleworking or working out in our fitness center. I try to eat healthy at my desk, but avoid the lunch crowd, not only to avoid calories, but to save money.

I am with Corey. Bringing your lunch is best. It lets you control your calorie count and know exactly how much fat, etc., you are consuming (versus many restaurants/food trucks, which don’t have such info readily available). Also, Just Say No! Most of the time, I politely decline if a co-worker offers me a cookie or snack.

Pattie Buel
    Participant

I will blame the weekends bakers who bring their goodies in on Monday mornings. It has nothing to do with my sweet tooth or lack of will power.

Shannon Kennedy
    Participant

Sorry Peteritas, my brownie making probably didn’t help either. :o(

Using peer pressure as an excuse for doing something negative didn’t fly with my parents when I was 7, and it certainly doesn’t influence me as an adult! I can’t believe that a person would respond to efforts to undermine healthy habits. I would minimize my social interactions with these people.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

We just got a Five Guy’s at L’Enfant Plaza so I think Five Guys is making us all fat! How about that?!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.