Are You Ready for the Storm?

Home Forums Miscellaneous Are You Ready for the Storm?

This topic contains 19 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Elliot Volkman 6 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Shannon Kennedy
    Participant

Talk about crazy weather. Those of us on the east coast are experiencing some wild weather this week. Of course there was yesterday’s earthquake, which had those of us in Washington “all shook up.”

On top of this, Hurricane Irene is headed her way up the coast. Are you prepared? Luckily for us, GEICO has us covered. Below is the GEICO Low-down on what you and your family need to do to prepare for this storm (as well as hurricane season):

Family disaster supply kit

• Buy water today. The National Hurricane Center recommends one gallon of water daily per person for seven days.

• Stock a disaster supply kit that includes a manual can opener, blankets, clothing, toiletries, prescription drugs, first aid kits, flashlights, a tool set, batteries, radios and pet care items.

Family to-do list

• Have an out-of-state friend as a family contact. This will ensure all your family members have a single point of contact.

• Make plans now for your pets in case of evacuation.

• Protect family valuables such as photographs and computers.

• Keep important documents in a waterproof container, including insurance, medical records, bank account numbers, etc.

Cash

• Keep cash on hand. Banks and ATMs may be closed.

Vehicles

• Keep your vehicles filled with gas.

• If possible, put vehicles on blocks and wrap with tarps to keep the water out.

In addition

• Take First Aid, CPR and disaster preparedness classes.

Find out more

For more detailed information about how to prepare for hurricane season, visit the National Hurricane Center’s website http://www.nhc.noaa.gov or call the National Flood Insurance Program call 1-800-CALL-FLOOD ext. 445 or athttp://www.fema.gov/business/nfip/.

If you are a GEICO policyholder and you need to make a claim, please contact GEICO at http://www.geico.com/claims or call 1-800-841-3000. GEICO’s Catastrophe Teams are already on alert and ready to assist customers throughout the hurricane season.

———————————

GEICO was created in 1936 to provide auto insurance to federal government employees and their families. 75 years later, GEICO is one of America’s strongest, most financially stable companies thanks to the company’s dedication and support of the federal worker. GEICO is a proud partner of GovLoop. Check out the GEICO Federal Program on Facebook.

Elliot Volkman
    Participant

We just had to cancel our trip to NY as a result of the weather. Hopefully we were wrong about how bad the storm will be.

Stephanie Slade
    Participant

Physically ready, sure. I have flashlights and bottled water. Psychologically ready, no way… I’m supposed to be moving this weekend!

Jeff Ribeira

I agree with Elliot. Hopefully it’s not as bad as the media’s making it out to be, but it’s always better to be over-prepared than under-prepared. And honestly, hurricanes get my heart racing a lot more than earthquakes so whether it makes it up as far as the North East or not, I’m following this list!

Megan Dotson
    Keymaster

Hurricanes don’t freak me out too much; but I grew up in Florida. I’ve learned to respect the beasts they are, run when I need to and prep to hunker down. BUT you saw me the other day…Earthquakes totally shake me up and Tornadoes strike fear in my heart.

Carol Davison
    Participant

Maybe the storm will move your items for you. You were planning on moving in a North Easterly direction, weren’t you?

Jason Hibbets
    Participant

Hi Shannon. I’m ready. I live in Raleigh, NC and the car is packed. 2 surfboards, a pair of board shorts, some caffeine, and a date with Irene at 7am in Wrightsville Beach 🙂

Jason

edgar
    Participant

thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!

Elliot Volkman
    Participant

We will be requiring photos!

Stephanie Slade
    Participant

Funny 🙂

Lindsay M. Aaronson
    Participant

We cancelled a trip to NYC for the Bronx half marathon! Bummed out, but ready to bunker down – glad that you mentioned pets as a reminder as people plan their disaster supply kits!

Rick Sumrall
    Participant

Thanks for the good advice on hurricane preparation. Growing up in Louisiana I saw plenty of hurricanes and I have to take exception to wrapping a vehicle with a tarp. Unless you are going to completely seal up the tarp so that it’s like a giant Ziploc bag, it won’t stop water from getting in. If the floods come, the water will work it’s way in to the vehicle, tarp or no tarp. Best thing I have found is to to move to higher ground. Putting on blocks could certainly help reduce the damage if flooding is minimal, but it’s also a hazard if you are doing it on anything but flat ground. If your vehicle is on a slope, don’t put it up on blocks, as you’re likely to cause harm to you or the vehcile.

Andreas Addison
    Participant

Well, as I am flying to Boston for the weekend, not really. But I did pack extra socks and underware so I guess I am prepared. Seriously though, this is a great post to explain what is needed to be prepared for the unknown a storm like this can create.

I would like to add one more point though, get some cash on hand too. If you are in an urban setting and the electricity goes out, the only way you may be able to purchase anything is with cash as ATM’s and credit card machines will not work. Just a thought.

Carol Davison
    Participant

Today Baltimore Gas and Electric automatically called to tell me what they were doing to prepare for the storm, and referred me to their website so I could do the same. GREAT customer service!

SteveWonder
    Participant

Hey Rick,

This Texas native thanks you for telling all those “inexperienced” easterners how to survive a “cane.”

They WON”T be experiencing the REAL DEAL: Katrina, Rita, Ike, Andrew (no experiencing bumper to bumper, 24-hour traffic jams that’s part of the REAL DEAL!).

This will be a wimpy one, with some MINOR flooding, wind damage, power outages NOT on the level of POWERFUL Category 4/5 storms

Well, im as ready as i can get. Irene isn’t a midwest thing per se. They say gas prices may go up. I did fill.the car up today.

Jason Hibbets
    Participant

Of course…

Surfing Hurricane Irene | http://hibbets.net/blog/2011/08/26/surfing-hurricane-irene/

Brett de Boisserre
    Participant

I just finished spreading weed-and-feed in my front yard before it gets too windy. I dropped a little extra hoping to spread the love into my neighbors yard 🙂

I just got rid of Dish and I’m looking forward to having television DURING a storm barring an outage!

Alena Popova
    Participant

Those advice and information you’ve provided, Shannon, is very valuable,however I wish that the hurricane didn’t be as strong as it is expected as well as it didn’t bring serious damage to your country and states. Despite I’m from Russia and luckily we haven’t experienced natural disasters like that, I could imagine how frigthnening it is, especially when it happens so often! As we all live in one big world, I couldn’t feel indifferent in that case. So I’m with you, guys! Hope that the USA Goverment would do everything that is possible.

Alena Popova
    Participant

Hi Andreas, I think you advice regarding having a cash on hand will definitely come in handy. While travelling around a world, we just get used to pay by credit cards that it has become a kind of everyday ritual or habit for everyone. However, in such challenging situations you might really stuck as you won’t have cash on you and that may cause a lot of problems unless other people just help you and give money)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.