Are You Streaming Music?

Home Forums Technology Are You Streaming Music?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Terrence Hill 5 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Shannon Kennedy
    Participant

With online music sites like Spotify, Pandora, Grooveshark, Mog, Rdio & others, streaming online music has become extremely popular.

Are You Streaming Music?

Do you have a favorite?

I, myself, am in love with Spotify. I have the premium version, so I have my music on my phone as well. My library seamlessly updates on my computer and my phone, so I always have my music up-to-date wherever I want it! The only downside is when I don’t have an internet connection, or a slow one.

Now, when you think about your internet connection, think about how much more reliable it can be. CenturyLink, a proud partner of GovLoop, is available for all of your connection needs.

———————————–

CenturyLink (formerly Qwest Communications) is a proud partner of GovLoop and is committed to the communication missions of state, local and federal governments. Its concept of operations is driven by an unwavering commitment to provide best-in-class customer service. CenturyLink is positioned to support your mission objectives with global reach, expanded network and financial strength.

Terrence Hill
    Participant

I always like Pandora because of the way they know all my favorites. I also use iHeart radio to stream local stations. I have spotify, but couldn’t figure out why I would need it if I have the other two.

Julie Chase
    Participant

Hmmm, do you mean on your own PC, laptop or Ipad/phone? Or are you referring to the “work” PC? If it’s the latter, that’s a big NO-NO. We were told NO listening to radio stations online, NO downloading Spotify or any other “streaming” music. We were told by our great IT gurus in the high tower that it takes up too much bandwidth and they can’t control any viruses that might “stream” in. So if you try to do it, …..you will get a nasty email with a finger wagging in your face. Best we can do, is bring in music CD’s, a radio, or as I do, hook up the work PC speakers to my Sony Mp3 player. (Can’t afford and Ipad, lowly GS, here) PC speakers are “separate” from the computer, so they “the great IT guru’s in the high tower” can’t detect what you are doing.

Terrence Hill
    Participant

Julie – You allowed to be creative to get around the ban on streaming using the government PC/laptop. While in the office (about 1/2 the time), I just use a simple iTouch iPod that capures a WiFi signal from a co-worker with a smart phone. You can stream Pandora, iHeart, Slacker, or any other music. The other 1/2 of the time, I’m teleworking. Reason #212 to telework – you can stream your own music on your own PC/laptop and crank it up while working.

Jeff S
    Participant

Like Julie said its a No-No at work. I actually listen to XM- mostly 80’s on 8 on a cell phone sized radio with an antenna in the window.

Grooveshark, hands down. Best variety + control + functionality, imho. I like their new “Explore” tab that enables serendipitous discovery of new artists.

Corey McCarren
    Participant

I like Pandora a lot, but sometimes it weirds me out what I wind up listening to on there! I once started with the Sex Pistols and bands like that, so eventually it wound up also playing The Pogues, which was great. It then went on to play other Celtic punk until finally I was only listening to Celtic music. Not that I minded the Celtic music or anything, it was just quite a jump…

Julie Chase
    Participant

Terry, this GS05 is too poor to afford an iTouch iPod. I got a Sony Mp3 player for Christmas as an upgrade to my little Memorex player I bought for $35.00 5 yrs ago. No one in my office has a “smart phone”, again, affordability is the reason. You must work in the “high rent” district of the fed gov.

All I can say, it must be nice for some feds to be able to “plug in” anytime, anywhere to Uncle Sams network with nary a finger wag. Not only “plug in” but plug in personal devices and also “stream” music through US computers. Lucky, lucky you.

We aren’t allowed to have “wireless” anything here hooked to Uncle Sams, NMCI network. And when the new NextGen comes in, the rules will still be the same. No, No and double No-No

Julie Chase
    Participant

yeah, me too. I have a radio, but the station I want doesn’t come in very good and I have done everything including hanging it out the window. I gave up the ghost when I got my Sony Mp3 player. I have music I like downloaded on it (at home of course), and I just unplugged the speakers from my work PC and plugged the green plug into the Sony. XM sounds great…but I am a poor gov churchmouse.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.