Audio/Video file as time-limited download?

Home Forums Miscellaneous Audio/Video file as time-limited download?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Denise Petet 5 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Debbie Hopkins
    Participant

I have a Windows Media Audio/Video file, and I’m looking for information on how to make this content available as a download for a finite period of time (30 or 60 days, for example).

Any ideas or suggestions on how I get started?

Denise Petet
    Participant

I’d just make yourself a youtube channel, upload it there and then take it down when you’re done with it.
    You can upload a transcript that it’ll turn into captions if you need that, and if you don’t want the whole world to see it you can upload it as ‘unlisted’ which means that only someone with the link can see it.

There is a setting on the youtube channel which is called creative commons I believe that allows people to download your content. I’ve never used that part but if you want people to be able to download and keep, maybe that will help.

Denise gave the same recommendation I would with YouTube – but if you have a problem with them being able to download from YouTube, you could purchase an FTP service like “YouSendIt” for a few months and let people donwload it from there.

Steve
    Participant

If you have this on your server, as opposed to something like YouTube as mentioned in previous replies, there are some other options:

Depending on how your webpages are done, you could have a CMS option to allow how long a page is active, if you put it on it’s own page.

You may use server side scripting code, such as PHP, to allow the code that presents the audio/video file download to only show up during the date range you want it available.

You could also have a job on the server setup to change the permissions of the file, move it to another location, or something similar to prevent the link or direct download from working. In the Unix/Linux world, this could be done with a cron job.

Jeffrey J Kontur
    Participant

Are you talking about a static period of time (i.e. put it up today and take it down two months from now)? I assume not since that’s relatively easy.

Instead, I assume you mean:

• I sign up today and can access it for 30 days.
    • Jane Doe signs up next Thursday and also gets it for 30 days but her 30 days starts next Thursday.
    • John Q Public signs up the following Monday….

In that case, what you want is more difficult. Is the file small enough that you can host it yourself without killing your bandwidth? Even if it becomes popular?

There are some Digital Rights Management (DRM) solutions that may work. Or you could try putting the files behind the gates of a membership site.

I’m sure there are lots of ways to skin this cat but more information is needed.

Debbie Hopkins
    Participant

This is more along the lines of what I’m looking for. My company is planning to record our training webinars, and we want to be able to sell the content to people who can’t attend the live session. We want them to have unlimited access (via audio/visual or just audio) for a 30-day period of time, with no ability to save the file themselves.

Does that help?

Jeffrey J Kontur
    Participant

Look at Vimeo.com

I haven’t been a paid user in a long time so their options have likely changed but they give paid users a great deal of control over their videos. Pricing is reasonable.

If that won’t do it, you could try an open source courseware product like Moodle but it has a learning curve.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.