Baby Boomers: What Are You Doing “When You Grow Up?”

Home Forums Miscellaneous Baby Boomers: What Are You Doing “When You Grow Up?”

This topic contains 19 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Andrea Schneider 7 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

I was just watching the Academy Awards and was struck by the AARP commercial which featured a series of people saying “When I grow up…” and sharing their post-retirement dreams.

So I’m wondering how GovLoop Boomers would fill in the blank:

“When I grow up, I will __________”

Andrea Schneider
    Participant

…continually work on my professional and personal legacy, as a change-maker and person of high integrity. I will take needed risks to main my creative edge and ability to think outside the box. I will use my past to inform my present and always know each generation is bringing critical elements to the table.
    I will always “call the question,” as I see it, maintain my open mind and focus on results. Personally, I am more humble by the day at the surprises and whimsy of life. Integrating the two elements is challenging and fun to work on.
    I hope to work on cross-generational teams of talent.

Cheryl Wahlheim
    Participant

Well to be honest, I never thought about retirement until about 5 years ago. Now that my husband’s and my retirement funds have diminished by about 40% and we still have a child in college (who wants to go to medical school) and my husband just went back to work after 14 months without work, I am not even thinking about “retirement” at all. I see myself working in some capacity for at least another 10-12 years. I am currently working 2 jobs anyway, so half of one job “would” be retirement for me!

Amanda Blount
    Participant

Two Words for your Med student – Student Loans – Let Mom and Dad retire.

Amanda Blount
    Participant

When I grow up I want to volunteer!

By 50 I want to have another Master’s Degree, and My Doctorate. Between 60-70 I want to work, consult, and travel. I also want to take a pottery class. If I am still healthy at 70, I am going to start the garden I have always wanted to start and never had time for… so hopefully I will have time for it by 70. 🙂 And since I have very little retirement – I will then move in with the kids and leave my shoes and stuff around for them to pick up! LOL

Linda W. Odell
    Participant

be retired.

Amanda Blount
    Participant

BTW – This is assuming that I ever do “grow up”. Is growing up a requirement!? 🙂

Jim Koontz
    Participant

I started my own financial advising business a few years ago on the side. I will continue to grow that as I grow up. Cannot count on Social Security to be there. Need to continue to generate income to live the life I want to live. i also enjoy helping others not make the same financial mistakes I made during my life.

Kathy Sciannella
    Participant

My plan is to migrate to another career and work part time as long as my health is good. I am thinking about taking my human resource experience and working with young people, especially those at risk, to help them map out a career. When I grow up, I will work in career coaching and helping other people find satisfaction in their jobs or identify a new one.

Kevin Lanahan
    Participant

…be a kitemaker and paste little bits of cloth in the sky above a field.

So it is a good time to start taking sewing lessons and learn some aerodynamic principles.

Lori Hamm
    Participant

…finally have the questions my kids have had the answers to since they turned 14!

Seriously – I’m 60 and am now working for the state of Montana in the best job I have ever had. Who wants to retire when work is so much fun?

Larry Miller
    Participant

cross that bridge when I come to it.
    I am 4 years away from retirement, and it is critical I keep this job till then.
    If I start day dreaming about it, my productivity will suffer, or at least my attitude.
    So I will keep assuming that I will work for ever, until I am pleasantly surprised.
    Denial is sometimes a good thing.

That’s really cool, Jim. I have a buddy who is essentially doing the same thing. Like the idea of giving back in retirement…make some money, but also help others.

That’s awesome, Kathy. Here’s a cool organization that does that kind of thing here in Durham, NC: http://www.leap2.org/. A nice model…

Have you read the book or seen the movie “The Kite Runner” yet? Should give you some inspiration, Kevin!

That’s great! When you love what you’re doing, you might as well keep doing it. Keeps the mind active and continue to make a valuable contribution…

Cynthia Schoeppel
    Participant

When I grow up, I will not grow up. Like many boomers I have to keep working and so staying in the game with all the youngsters, the kids as I call them since they could be my kids, keeps me young and active. Retirement is a dead concept so get over it and get busy living your life to the fullest, stop and smell the chocolate, and dance like everyone’s watching.

R J Parry
    Participant

Grow up ? I refuse to grow up. For my 56th birthday, my wife blessed me with a newborn baby girl (now 19 months old). Well so much for retirement. If I leave government service I guess I will be the stay at home daddy and let the wife work for the next 30 years

Nice…nothing like a youngster to keep you young.

Brie Sansotta
    Participant

Too many responsibilities to do what I really want to do – move to San Diego and surf!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.