Back to the Workforce – What are your tips for finding a new career?

Home Forums Careers Back to the Workforce – What are your tips for finding a new career?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  briansternnyc 6 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Elliot Volkman
    Participant

With all the discussions about different age groups forming their current career to better suit their needs one has to wonder the pros and cons for staying in a position, especially if there are no longer incentives for you to grow or innovate.

Once you’ve hit that threshold and you want to look for a new career after being in the same position or field for an extensive period of time, what do you feel is the best way to go about getting into a new career? Should you look to connections you’ve made over the years, revamp your resume and hit the job boards, or is there a missing holy grail that will help experienced professionals get a leg up?

I’d love to know your thoughts on the matter, and if you have any tips as we are going to be holding a free webinar next week on the subject. My coworker (Lindley Ashline) and I are very much interested in assisting people getting jobs, regardless of their age group or ours and your input could provide someone added insight into the job search.

briansternnyc
    Participant

I am trying to make a career change now. I’ve been in the private sector doing work that is no longer aligned with my values. I went back to school and got a degree in international affairs and am now trying to break into government or nonprofit. It goes without saying, it’s difficult so far. And to keep money coming in, I still have to do what I was doing in corporate, which offers no new learning opportunities and does nothing for my morale.

My advice – if you go back to school to change careers, make sure you go for an occupation – teacher, lawyer, accountant, etc; don’t do a generic degree which may not lead you anywhere.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.