Best jobs with a Political Science degree?

Home Forums Careers Best jobs with a Political Science degree?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 8 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

What are the best jobs for new graduates with a Political Science degree?

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

As someone with a BA and MA in Sociology (another social science), I would argue that there is no one clear job for a political science degree.

However, it does help you develop a wide set of skills that can get you lots of entry-level jobs you can take any way you want.

You can work a number of gov’t jobs – budget analyst, program analyst, IT analyst (I did), performance auditor – among more. You could be a consultant or researcher too. Lots of options.

Marco Morales
    Participant

I have an MA in PoliSci (public affairs). It serves me well in that a lot of the academic content leading up to earning that degree delved into public policy and budgetary processes associated with the various committees run by our congressional reps. In my job’s realm, we interact quite a bit with the news media and congressional issues so it helps to know how those two entities may play into an organization’s mission, vision, and strategies. I would also add that a BA degree in this discipline may serve as the ground work for a law degree if that is the route an individual would want to pursue.

thank you for the insight!

Jim Townsend
    Participant

One of my professors told me to go deep and find an area to explore in depth. He suggested Byzantine history, but I choose databases instead. It’s great to have a specialty to complement the breadth you usually acquire with a political science major.

what are your thoughts on a math minor to augment a political science major?

Sharee Springs
    Participant

A career to consider would be a Foreign Service Officer with the US Department of State. http://www.careers.state.gov

John Fedkenheuer
    Participant

Another area to consider is Acquisition. Many agencies have procurement intern programs that would give you an opportunity to gain experience and move up quickly. With many people retiring in the acquisition field over the next few years it offers an excellent opportunity for upward mobility.

Steven Goldman
    Participant

Sandy: why a math minor? Why not a set of coursework in economics, finance or statistics to give you an analytical grounding? Business finance or public finance classes would help with budget planning/management.

Pete Chase
    Participant

This is an excellent suggestion, and is the path I, a young Government major, took many years ago to start my government career, but many procurement intern programs have strict education requirements you should be aware of early on. For example, to qualify for a position on one of the many GS-1102 vacancy announcements on USAJobs.gov, applicants must have completed a “4-year course of study leading to a bachelor’s degree, that included or was supplemented by at least 24 semester hours in any combination of the following fields: accounting, business, finance, law, contracts, purchasing, economics, industrial management, marketing, quantitative methods, or organization and management.”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.