Best Practices for Internal Blogs

Home Forums Citizen Engagement & Customer Service Best Practices for Internal Blogs

This topic contains 20 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 5 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Janna Raudenbush
    Participant

My agency is going to launch an internal blog to replace our outdated, quarterly employee newsletter, and I’m excited to be acting as “producer/editor” for this project. I want to provide contributors with best practices and guidelines. Anyone have any experience with internal blogs and/or any best practices to share? I’ve already listed keeping posts concise, writing in a conversational tone, and responding to comments in a timely matter. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Couple quick ideas:

-Find a regular rhythm – too often I find blogs start out good and then 4 months later it’s a dead zone and no updates. Key is just committing and holding a schedule (1 a week)

-For contributors – give them a schedule, remind them, and have backups. Most people say they’ll help but get busy so need reminding and then backup if really can’t do it

-Topics – you can try lots of fun series like “Employee of Week” and ask 5 questions to a person. Could do project of week & same thing – highlight 3 items. Generally lists and bullets work – 5 tips on X, 3 ideas on Y VS huge long blog posts
    -Perhaps brainstorm a list of topics with some co-workers and writers and then have the writers access to list so can look at topics when they are stuck

Kim Truong
    Participant

Two ideas:

• Have fun with titles! Aside from good content, clever, witty, informative titles are a great way for writers to think creatively.
    • Bring in stuff from outside your agency – news stories, research work, reports, documentaries, etc – that might be relevant to the work of your colleagues.

Happy to help, Janna.

1. Email, email, email. It’s one to post it. It’s another to get it in people’s workflow. Like Steve said, set a schedule for posting, but also pick a schedule for sending your posts – daily, weekly, etc. Pick a day of the week, make it part of people’s rhythms

2. Images. Include pictures whenever you can. Employees at agency events. Employees in action. Images that represent your mission. Customers / people who are benefiting from your agency’s mission.

3. People. Highlight and honor good work. Interview both senior leaders and front line employees. Blog the high points, but also include some rich media, if you can (video clip, audio / podcast – don’t worry too much about it being perfect). As Steve said, you could even have others write so it takes the pressure off you and spreads the insights around. If more people own it, they’re more likely to promote it as well.

4. Problems. What are the common challenges that you know people are facing? Can you address them in a respectful and constructive way, allowing people to share input on that subject?

I could probably come up with a bunch more, but that’s off the top of my head. I know there was another conversation on GovLoop awhile ago (years ago!) on blogging tips, so maybe you can search and find that (on the run right now, otherwise would grab it for you 🙂

Good luck, Janna. Blog back here and tell us how it goes – sharing your own lessons learned!

Janna Raudenbush
    Participant

Thanks for the tips! I especially like the idea of asking 5 fun questions to an “Employee of the Week.” Great way to break down internal barriers and spark conversation!

Janna Raudenbush
    Participant

Hey Andy — thanks for all the great tips! Just a few follow-up questions…

1) So would you suggest emailing out the blog posts in addition to just posting them to the intranet? We’re trying to use the intranet as a way to cut down on all the internal emails, but maybe doing a weekly digest would be beneficial when we’re first starting out until people become more aware of the blog.

2) When you talk about problems and common challenges (in point 4), are you referring to writing a blog post about common problems facing the agency as a whole? Or are you referring to talking to the contributors and finding out what issues they’re facing in their blogging?

Thanks again! And we’re still quite a few months away from going live, but I’ll definitely be sure to blog about my experiences blogging (how ironic…) once we do!

Terrence Hill
    Participant

To expand on the contributors – make sure that your leadership regularly participates. One of the best blogs years ago was the US Coast Guard blog, where Coasties could interact directly with the Commandant – Thad Allen. Very powerful and engaging!

Terrence Hill
    Participant

I agree with the “pictures” comment, but would also add short videos (sort of like Instagram and Vine). If you highlight your employees, they will engage and share your postings.

Samantha Holquist
    Participant

Hey Janna,

For your second question, I believe Andy was referring to individuals writing blog posts or starting discussions about common challenges that they face in the office and how they have overcome them. I think it would also be a good practice to talk with contributors and discuss challenges that they are facing in their blogging. This could lead to good discussions about how the process could work better and build a sense of camaraderie.

Hope this helps!

Gary T Lefko
    Participant

We’ve leadership blog in US Forest Service/CIO for about two years now. Employees love them (when they do them). We have a schedule, have to send reminders, etc. We post to Sharepoint blog and we send all-CIO email to drive traffic (only way it would work). Folks don’t seem to have time to remember to check our employee engagement site so a little poke always works.

Rick Alcantara
    Participant

Here are 10 tips for creating an engaging internal blog:

1. Focus on your readers’ wants and needs.

2. Limit your content to xxx words.

3. Include images whenever possible.

4. Invite readers to respond.

5. Provide useful links that readers can click on for more information.

6. Tie local topics into national or global issues or trends.

7. Write to be understood, not to impress.

8. Vary your sentence length, but strive to keep paragraphs short.

9. Use active voice rather than passive.

10. Be authentic.

David B. Grinberg
    Participant

Awesome advice so far. Here are two more approaches to consider, as appropriate:

• Every Monday have an installment for The Week Ahead, which will provide timely updates on key agency activities. This is an effective means for employee engagement via information sharing, which may also boost morale. Employees want to be “in the loop” and “in the know.”
    • Internal blogs may also be successful for enhancing transparency agency-wide on controversial internal issues of employee concern. For example, furloughs, budget matters, sick buildings, moving locations, etc. The key here is to be as transparent as possible and have an open dialogue via the blog to let employees speak out and be heard.

I hope this helps, along with the other awesome advice from Steve, Andy and the others. Good luck with it!

Janna Raudenbush
    Participant

Thanks Samantha and Andy — I think that would be a great idea to us to have regular discussions with contributors built into the schedule for everyone to share what’s working, what’s not, and brainstorm ideas for improvement. I’ll definitely try that out once we launch!

Janna Raudenbush
    Participant

Thanks David! All of this advice has been extremely valuable!

Janna Raudenbush
    Participant

Thanks Rick — this is a great list and I worked several of them into our “blogger guidance” cheat sheet! Do you have a suggestion for the number of words you think works best for the limit?

Thanks!

Patrick Fiorenza
    Participant

Be interested to hear others views, but my take is that 800 words is the ideal number of words for a blog, some of my posts run a bit longer/shorter, but 800 feels about right. If you start getting too long, just split them up for multiple posts and turn it into a blog series.

Regardless of the length, bolding headers, bullets and lists is a nice way for readers to quickly consume information if they are reading quick and skimming through the post. Be sure to keep us posted on your best practices/lessons learned once you start up the project! Lots of great information here to get started.

Gary T Lefko
    Participant

Is someone going to post a “all-inclusive” blogging tips cheat sheet for (us) interested downloaders?

Janna Raudenbush
    Participant

I’d be happy to post our guidance once it’s finalized.

Dave Hebert
    Participant

Truckloads of great advice thus far; allow me to offer a few more that I hope are useful:

• The substance of a blog post can be an embedded video message from a sincere leader, a compelling graphic about budget, or live coverage of an important meeting. Think about ways to do more than the first-person written account.
    • A senior leader can’t be expected to know the answer to every question raised in the comments section — create a list of subject matter experts throughout your agency to whom you can quickly turn to help provide answers (and then document answers to popular questions in a place you can link to from the blog).
    • You’ll get a lot of questions about how many people are reading posts and the like. Find and use an analytics tool that will get you the info you need, ideally in realtime, about user activity.
    • There is no one response to all 75 of the agitated commenters on the post about sequestration that will make them all understand and be happy. Help your leaders avoid going down that rabbit hole.
    • Anonymity can help introverts get involved in the conversation, and it can facilitate unconstructive drive-by commenting. Choose your identification policies wisely.
    • There is often a really interesting inside story behind the things your agency tells the rest of the world in a press release or congressional testimony. Find those stories and tell them on the blog rather than rehashing what you shared publicly.

Hope it goes well — keep us posted, Janna.

Janna Raudenbush
    Participant

Thanks for the unique advice! Your tips on comments and analytics bring up some great points that would be best dealt with upfront — much appreciated!

Jim Townsend
    Participant

Create groups of blog contributors to share the burden of feeding the blog. Fatigue kills most blogs.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.