Best Things To Do in DC for the Holidays

Home Forums Acquisitions Best Things To Do in DC for the Holidays

This topic contains 12 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Megan Dotson 7 years ago.

• Author

Shannon Kennedy
    Participant
    It is my absolute favorite time of year! Christmas music is constantly playing on my Pandora and I am giddy at the sight of the city illuminated by lights and decorations. It’s Christmas time in the city!

This won’t be my first holiday season in the DC area, but my first as an adult. I spent part of my childhood living in Virginia and have great memories of holiday adventures with my family. I drank cider by the fire at Mt. Vernon during it’s holiday celebration and took my first trip to Ford’s theatre to see A Christmas Carol.

My ultimate dream is to visit the White House around Christmas time, but i’m not too optimistic about that happening this year.
    So I ask you DC experts, what are your top DC Christmas traditions?

Megan Dotson
    Keymaster

Haven’t been here long enough to create traditions…but I do like checking out the National Christmas Tree, the wreaths at Arlington Cemetery and this year I want to swing by the Gaylord in the National Harbor to check out the ice village.

Alycia Piazza
    Participant

The National Christmas Tree and Menorah are fun and there is Santa’s workshop where you can get a nice (FREE) photo with Santa.

AJ Malik
    Participant

Cheryl Ward
    Participant

Tea at the Ritz or at the Willard during December… Nutcracker at Washington Ballet… Handel’s Messiah is usually at the Kennedy Ctr, too…. Model train exhibit at Union Station, followed by Irish Coffee in one of restaurants there… I think there is a special candlelight thing at Woodlawn Plantation over near Ft Belvoir, too.

Before Garfinckels and Woodies closed, I loved having baked brie and drinks at the Old Ebbit Grille after shopping downtown on a Friday nite — smaller shopping crowds were in town on a Friday nite (all out or at the suburban malls)…. but with no big department stores downtown anymore, I am not sure that this can work out these days… but I bet something similar in Georgetown on a Friday nite would work out as stores usually stay open later this month.

Terrence Hill
    Participant

In the past, I have visited the Mormon Temple, which is open to all during the Christmas season. This impressive church and its surrounding grounds shine brightly with more than 450,000 sparkling Christmas lights. Each night, a different local musical group performs a live concert in a state-of-the-art theater. All events are free! Visitors are welcome to explore the Washington, DC Mormon Temple grounds and the Visitors’ Center and see a live outdoor nativity scene, an indoor exhibit of international nativity scenes and a selection of Christmas films.

Doug Mashkuri
    Participant

Visiting the National Christmas tree is fun – they have a great bonfire plus the tree is surrounded by Christmas trees from all states. Always fun to get a picture of your home state tree. Holiday drinks at the Old Ebbitt Grill is a must and finally a visit to the US Botanical Garden to see the holiday exhibit.

Michele Costanza
    Participant

I saw The Nutcracker ballet at the Kennedy
    Center. I loved it.

Marco Morales
    Participant

Rock guitarist Joe Satriani will be performing at the Strathmore in Bethesda, MD, Dec. 15, at 8 p.m., for those who may appreciate superb electric guitar virtuosos — I would compare him to the all-time greats such as Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton and Eddie Van Halen.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Take bus to NYC and see Rockefeller 🙂

Hassib Amiryar
    Participant

Try to get tickets to “A Christmas Carol” at the Ford’s Theater if you still can.

Shannon Kennedy
    Participant

Thanks y’all! Some great ideas! I’m excited to explore everything I can before heading home for the holidays! This is why DC is so awesome!

Kathleen Smith
    Participant

Well I did visit the White House one season, via a private tour of someone who worked there. I actually have a picture of me next to the Christmas Tree in the Oval Office. It was a thrill of a lifetime! there are so many beautiful decorations around the White House that are truly amazing!
    Other great things to do are the simple Christmas parades that little communities have- in Arlington the Westover neighborhood has a Christmas parade and in Falls Church the Fire Department decorates the engines, plays Christmas music and tours the streets. I think just driving around and seeing the decorations and then stopping off to have a little holiday cheer is just the ticket. I actually prefer the Capitol Christmas Tree over the National Christmas Tree.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.