Can Big Data Help Fight PTSD?

Home Forums Technology Can Big Data Help Fight PTSD?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Cairns 7 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Calista Rollogas
    Participant

With soldiers putting their lives at risk constantly while deployed, and often being put in positions where they feel fear and horror, it’s very easy to see how many members of the military fall victim to PTSD.

In fact, statistics show that over 20% of the soldiers who served in Iraq and Afghanistan over the past 6 years have PTSD. Studies estimate that 1 in every 5 military personnel returning from Iraq and Afghanistan has PTSD. In the past year alone the number of diagnosed cases in the military jumped 50% – and that is just diagnosed cases.

To win the battle against PTSD, the military needs to change the way they view PTSD and PTSD treatment. Each individual soldier suffering from the disorder needs to be considered on a journey towards recovery.

A recent article offers that big data can help in the battle against PTSD by keeping caregivers and others involved in the recovery journey informed and giving them a better picture of exactly where the patient is in the recovery process.

What are your thoughts? Can big data improve the care we offer our veterans?

Chris Cairns
    Participant

I think that point is incorrect. I believe that the DoD and the VA both view treating warfighters suffering PTSD as journey towards recovery. I’m not sure PTSD ever actually goes away after treatment. What does happen is that the warfighter learns techniques for mitigating the psychological and physiological effects of a recurring episode so that he/she can function as a “normal” member of society. So back to your main question. Research, data, analysis and trial are of course key to treating any psychological wound. I don’t think it needs to be BIG per se.

Brian Ball
    Participant

Not really sure how to employ the technology offered by followers of this blog, but EMDR can work wonders on the injured population.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.