Can cloud computing work for mission-critical applications?

Home Forums Technology Can cloud computing work for mission-critical applications?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Srinidhi Boray 7 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

David Lucas
    Participant

There is a lot of chatter about cloud computing and whether it can work for mission critical applications. We’ve implemented a cloud-based model:

http://gcn.com/articles/2010/02/01/department-of-labor-financial-management-system-cloud-computing.aspx?sc_lang=en

We are looking to speak with others that have been successful and how we can spread this knowledge to the larger community. What were the hurdles you overcame?

Srinidhi Boray
    Participant

David,

Is someone puling a fast one out here. I was to work with Marlene Howze Chief Architect DOL beginning last month, I was prematurely terminated within two days and taken off the project.

Looking at various investments, minor and major, those reported and those not reported to OMB, the truth will be flushed out.

This investment that it is major needs to be reported to OMB, I don’t see anything reported.

I think there is something very fishy going on here, in the $500 Million IT portfolio at DOL.

srinidhi

“Enterprisewide system is installed in 18 months for less that $10 million

By Rutrell Yasin
    Feb 02, 2010
    Officials at the Labor Department decided two years ago that the best way to replace their 20-year old financial managent system was to install a pre-configured solution that could be integrated across more than 22 agencies and organizations.

The seeds of that decision have finally borne fruit with Labor moving to a cloud computing-based financial management system, said David Lucas, chief strategy officer of Global Computer Enterprises, the contractor on the project.”

Srinidhi Boray
    Participant

Correct me if I am wrong :-

I presume GCE accomplished cloud computing within one of the following contracts, to have begun the contract in 4th qtr 2008 and to have delivered it in 2010 with 18 months as stated? Right …

From studying the below contracts, it seems that GCE started cloud computing projects even before Fed CIO Vivek Kundra and Obama Administration announced his / their plans for cloud computing, which means to recast ITIO and ITI-LOB initiative which only happened during May of 2009.

Does anyone at GCE has anything to say?

$2,118,771 Global Computer Enterprises, Inc. Dept. of Labor Professional, admin, and management support services 2009-04-13 16-0165 Salaries and Expenses
    $1,653,568 Global Computer Enterprises, Inc. Dept. of Labor Professional, admin, and management support services 2008-12-08 16-0165 Salaries and Expenses
    $1,537,843 Global Computer Enterprises, Inc. Dept. of Labor Professional, admin, and management support services 2009-09-03 16-0165 Salaries and Expenses
    $1,500,000 Global Computer Enterprises, Inc. Dept. of Labor Professional, admin, and management support services 2009-09-03 16-0165 Salaries and Expenses
    $1,092,157 Global Computer Enterprises, Inc. Dept. of Labor Professional, admin, and management support services 2009-06-26 16-0165 Salaries and Expenses

Kristin Dziadul
    Participant

In general I trust the cloud to my mission critical data (Gmail in particular). One thing to pay particular attention to is the company’s SLA and their data liberation policy. If the SLA is pretty strict on their end and they let you take your data out easily, then you should feel pretty confident in keeping in there.

What are some things that would keep you from putting mission critical data on the cloud? What types of data do you consider mission critical?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.