Can We Live Without Our Phone?

Home Forums Miscellaneous Can We Live Without Our Phone?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Denise Petet 8 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Paul Homan
    Participant

A blog this week lamented the landline’s journey to becoming obsolete. It does not seem that long ago that you could not survive without a landline.

Cell phones and now smart phones have become our new accessory that we must carry around. Before I leave my apartment every morning, I check for three things: my keys, my wallet, my phone.

If you had to, could you live without your phone? for a day? for a week? for a year?

Denise Petet
    Participant

I love the security of having my phone and hate when I leave it behind. That said, i’m not too fond of the ‘get rid of your landline and go all cell’ idea that many have. Cell phones have one massive flaw….during any sort of disaster resulting power outages your cellphone is useless while a hard wired phone will run off the power in the lines.

I could probably live without my phone. I don’t have a smart phone and the people at verizon once mocked me since i’d have maybe 40 minutes of calls for a month. But i do like knowing that i can call for help or to report something at the drop of a hat.

Will Saunders
    Participant

My phone isn’t really a phone. I have a personal mobile computer (or a smartphone in today’s vernacular) that also happens to make and receive telephone calls, which I seldom use to make or receive telephone calls, and its probably a waste paying for an unlimited calling plan. My mobile computing device is an address book, organizer, map and GPS device, financial service manager and bookkepper, and a game portal. I use my device to make reservations at my favorite restaurants, buy movie tickets, identify traffic jams, listen to music, manage my Netflix account – adding/deleting movies from the queue, make travel arrangements and monitor my frequent travel miles, track the number of steps I take in a day or track my calories/fat/sodium/ and other nutritional intake, and I can go on and on and on with the many things my device can do. Yes, what I have is much more than a phone, and while I definitely can live without it (I sometimes will turn it off and leave it off, not using it for days at a time), I definitely like the convenience that it offers me.

Terri
    Participant

I agree with Denise. I could probably live without my phone, but don’t really want to. I’ve had a smartphone for less than 6 months, so it hasn’t yet become an “appendage” or extension of my daily life. I’m sure it’s coming, but not quite yet. That said, I got locked out the other day, and was so thankful I had my phone and could text several people to see if they could rescue me.

Oh, and we still have a landline phone. This rural area has lots of spots that don’t have cell coverage, including many places in our home.

Allison Primack
    Participant

In a poll on GovLoop’s Facebook a few weeks ago, 17 GovLoopers said they would be lost without their phones, where only a few said they would be fine without it.

It’s funny, I personally forget my phone all the time, and every time I do it feels like I’m missing a body part. However, its kind of nice not having it some days. Especially with my smartphone it is extremely easy to get ahold of me in several ways – its relaxing to disconnect every now and then.

Shannon Kennedy
    Participant

I feel completely lost without my phone. When I don’t have it nearby, it literally feels like something’s missing. I once left my phone in a dressing room and about had a panic attack in the middle of a mall!

I think those of us who have smartphones have realized that not only are we dependent on our phone itself, but we have gotten used to always being connected. Ever had to use a non-smart phone when you’ve broken your iphone or droid? It’s torture.

Robert Powell
    Participant

I also agree with Denise. As a member of the over-50 crowd, I wasn’t raised with a cell phone. I do carry a basic cell phone in case of emergency, but days go by between uses.

I’m sure the new smart phones must be interesting, as I keep bumping into people who are looking at their phones and not where they are going! 🙂

Jim Reed
    Participant
    I’m with you, Robert. I have a low cost pay-as-you-go phone I only use a few times a month. Our house is in a semi-rural area where cell coverage is undependable, so cutting the landline is not an option. My son lives in the middle of the Seattle metro area, but his place is in a little valley with spotty cell coverage too. But on the other hand, I have an iPod touch that is always nearby with my calendar, notes, task lists, etc. I could carry one device that does both, but at a much greater monthly cost I can’t justify.

Kevin Lanahan
    Participant

I lived without a smartphone for 50 years until I got one a few months ago. Before that, I had a pay-as-you-go phone that could text and call only. I only carried it when traveling or riding my bicycle. Work, and the need to test apps, was the reason to upgrade. I still don’t make many calls, but I like the convenience of a smartphone, especially when traveling.

We still have a land line. My wife is quite resistant to carrying around a phone, so you better call at home if you want to reach her.

Denise Petet
    Participant

Same with me. I upgraded my phone a few months ago (pantech crux…..don’t get one of these. big mistake and horrible phone) anyway, i could have gone for an iPhone, but given that I had a Touch, I just couldn’t justify $70 a month for a data plan I’d be continually afraid of going over.

Now I have the touch and an iPad and a regular old phone and I’m fine with it. My touch can get on wifi where I can if I need to and I don’t have to worry about data overages.

Will Saunders
    Participant

Denise, you are right about the data plans. It is so easy to go over. I just saw a news story the other day that a woman’s son got ahold of her phone because he was capitivated by the animation on the screen and ended up activating a data feature and the next bill was something like $4,500. Another woman accidentally activated her data plan while in a foreign country and her roaming charges topped $250k. In both cases, the companies (I think it was Verizon) reduced some of the actual charges, but the customers still had to pay a very hefty bill. You definitely need to be very careful with data plans. That’s why I’m always on top of mine and keep it turned off and I password protect it to keep people accidentally (or on purpose) from raking up huge charges.

Sunni M.
    Participant

Very true. The sense of being connected is key.

Sunni M.
    Participant

So true. It is so much more than a phone. I actually have two and I need both of them with me at all times. I have chargers all over the place and am even considering a kenetic charger to turn body movement into cell phone energy.

I have a landline, but I only use it when there is a major emergency and I can’t get a cell signal and to buzz people into my apartment.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.