CES 2011: Innovation in Your Living Room

Home Forums Acquisitions CES 2011: Innovation in Your Living Room

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Shannon Kennedy 6 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Shannon Kennedy
    Participant

Posted in The HP Next Bench Blog by Richard Gerstein

Last week, I attended the annual International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) for the first time. I was excited about what I saw — a lot of real products, ready for customers to use.

While the geek inside me loves never-before-seen technology, I believe what ultimately matters is technology that changes the customer experience. Innovation that’s ready for my living room – or wherever I am – is what I really care about.

Let me show you what I mean.

Microsoft’s Kinect is built on advanced motion-control technology, and three years ago Microsoft showed it off as a prototype. Microsoft has since evolved that concept into a tangible, easy to use device. And consumers are excited by it – 8 million Kinects were purchased in 60 days. Take a look at something called Avatar Kinect that Microsoft showcased this year. And keep in mind this technology is available right now for about $150.

The 3D experience stands out to me as the second transformative-yet-tangible technology. It’s another thing that’s been talked about for a number of years, but is finally developing real momentum. And it’s exciting. Now there is enough 3D content available to make it meaningful for consumers to buy 3D screens and bring that a compelling experience into their living rooms.

We will see an explosion of applications for it in the coming months, especially as devices like 3D cameras become more accessible. And that interest will drive further technology innovation. My colleague Phil McKinney showed how HP is experimenting with 3D technology to furnish immersive experiences at large, live events like the Earth, Wind & Fire concert at CES. I think the ideal end-state happens when we are experiencing 3D without glasses. We’re not there yet, but we’re on our way.

We also saw nation-wide wireless broadband start to become a reality. Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile all announced they are doubling down efforts to expand their 4G networks. Combine ubiquitous high-speed connectivity with a range of 4G enabled devices, like the HP Pavilion dm1z, and myriad rich mobile experiences become available.

Stay tuned. In the coming months you’ll hear more from me and my team on this theme.

——-

What are your thoughts on this new technology? On the 3D experience?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.