CIO – can the “I” stand for innovation?

Home Forums Leadership and Management CIO – can the “I” stand for innovation?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Ken Boxer 5 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Ken Boxer
    Participant

Earlier this week I attended GovLoop Second Annual Government Innovators Virtual Summit, a lively and illuminating event that covered many of the pressing issues my consulting firm helps our clients address. The “Beat the Bureaucracy: 10 Traits of a Government Innovator” panel had an especially relevant discussion that I think some members of this group might be interested in.

The speakers argued that the CIO can help drive innovation with strategic intent by having the most complete understanding of the desired outcome. The CIO is also well positioned to bridge communications between the technology and business world. But on the other hand, have a dedicated “Chief Innovation Officer” can make other team members assume innovation doesn’t need to be on their own agenda.

What role does innovation play in your work as a CIO? Have you institutionalized innovation so its an achievable goal for all your team members? How do you encourage your organization to embrace new approaches and be unafraid of failure?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.