Comparing GPRA vs Open Gov Directive

Home Forums Budgeting Comparing GPRA vs Open Gov Directive

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 7 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

A few people have told me that the Open Gov Directive reminds them of the Government Performance Results Act of 1993 and that the implementation of GPRA could be a reminder of how Open Gov may evolve

…and part of that is basic direction, takes agencies some time to interrupt and make meaningful at agency level, iteration at OMB level, and eventually coming to a common ground and footing.

Anyone else have experience with the GPRA roll-out and thoughts how it may be relevant for thoughts on Open Gov Directive implementation.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Or would leave thoughts based on how e-gov rollout actually happened…would love to hear people’s experiences…

Karen Anne Malkin
    Participant

Yes, as a young 20 something, I was on a pilot pre-GPRA implementation team at a bureau level and we were filled w/possibilities and energy for making government more responsive to citizen needs and more effective. Then, the law came out and the OMB directives and suddenly all the experimentation and open collaboration closed down for a couple of years, while the Department-level heavy hitters tried to sort out the mandate. It seems to ebb and flow – open, closed….

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Fascinating…Wonder if we’ll have the same with Open Gov.

How long did it take from pre-GPRA to law, directives, and sorting out. 3-4 years?

Rand Ruggieri
    Participant

I road both waves (GPRA and eGov). I spent 7 years implementing GPRA in a bureau of USDA. I’ve spent the last 6 years being an eGov program manager. The early adopters like me are filled with passion. The forces for the status quo laugh and say things like “this will pass just like x, y or z initiative”. The lesson for the Open Gov’t Directive is that organizations need to develop their capacity to sustain it. Translation: Resources!

Web 2.0 responsibilities and OGD responsibiliteis have been added to agency web teams but if you go back to the Federal Web Manager Council’s White Paper), agency web teams are not staffed to do the basics let alone these new responsibilities.

It all comes down to the old phrase: “follow the money”. Have agencies put the resources where their mouths are?

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

It is amazing how important money truly is…I think just generally it shows how people value initiatives. If there are two initiatives and won has a $100 million budget and one is a fancy directive with no money…You can guess where the attention goes.

Lucas Cioffi
    Participant

Even though there currently isn’t a budget for the Open Government Directive, I believe there is greater potential this time than with GPRA and eGov. There have always been advocates for these types of initiatives sprinkled throughout government, but this time they are able to find each other online much easier (through GovLoop for example).

The sharing of best practices through the GSA’s upcoming citizen engagement platform and through the OpenGov Playbook are also key enablers that allow individuals to have a much greater impact on their organization from the inside, because they are equipped with great ideas from others in different agencies.

We developed the Playbook and the Open Government Directive Workshop Series with that in mind. Time will tell whether there are enough open government advocates to achieve critical mass for meaningful change.

Sterling Whitehead
    Participant

With GPRA, the internet wasn’t really big then like it is now. Individuals forming contests and working together have a chance to make a real impact. They just need to work together in some manner — GovLoop and other means. Frankly, I think some of the best impacts from Gov 2.0 will be from outside government.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.