Daily Dose: Should We Fire Feds Who Don’t Pay Taxes?

Home Forums Budgeting Daily Dose: Should We Fire Feds Who Don’t Pay Taxes?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Terrence Hill 9 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Tarryn Reddy
    Participant

In the Washington Post article, Federal workers behind on taxes could be fired under bill endorsed by House panel, Joe Davidson discusses the issues behind the bill.

The legislation, sponsored by Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah), says individuals with “seriously delinquent tax debts” are ineligible for federal employment. This would apply to applicants and those already employed.

The implication for Federal employees who are significantly behind on their federal taxes could be termination. The legislation was approved Wednesday by the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.

According to the legislation this would exclude employees whose debt “is being paid in a timely manner” or who have requested a due process collection hearing or have a hearing pending.

Rep. Elijah Cummings (Md.), the ranking Democrat on the committee, said IRS figures show that more than 96 percent of federal employees pay their taxes on time, a higher rate than the general public.

The committee also advanced legislation that would provide a two-year probationary period that applies only to new federal hires. The one-year probation would continue to apply to veterans.

According to Rep. Ross, “by extending the probationary period, we are untying supervisors’ hands, so that those that aren’t performing as well don’t stay in employment”.

On a side note, the Obama Administrations expects the federal government to employ 2.15 million federal employees this year—if we do the math— 4% of this number would mean that 86,000 federal employees haven’t or will not pay their taxes this year.

What do you think about this issue? Is it a waste of time? Or is it something we should be worried about? What about all the corporations that get away without paying taxes? Should we focus on them more?

************************************************************************************************

“Daily Dose of the Washington Post” is a blog series created by GovLoop in partnership with The Washington Post. If you see great stories in the Post and want to ask a question around it, please send them to[email protected].

Previous Daily Dose Posts:

Terrence Hill
    Participant

I agree with this legislation. There are too many people without jobs to tolerate this negligence by Federal workers. If they aren’t paying their taxes, they are most likely neglectful in other responsibilities and should not be trusted. We screen employees for suitability before employing them, including reviewing their credit history. Why shouldn’t we make sure that employees are performing their fiduciary responsibilities? This behavior is not only embarassing, but it is shameful behavior that should not be tolerated.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

It should be extended to include politicians!

Denise Petet
    Participant

absolutely!

100% across the board federal employees, no matter their pay range, and yes, totally including politicians.

Law makers should not be exempt from the laws they’re expecting everyone else to follow.

Sterling Whitehead
    Participant

If you, as a fed, aren’t paying your taxes, then you’re gone. We’re federal employees; we are told we are held to the highest standard, so let’s enforce that standard.

How many rich politicians would get canned under this law? Make not paying your taxes an impeachable offense!

Also, if anyone can actually find a FED who is seriously delinquent in their taxes… I will send them a deep dish pizza straight from Chicago. Because I don’t believe this is really a serious problem. It’s the corporate smucks who take advantage of tax havens and cheats who we should really worry about – good thing they cut the budget of the IRS!

Chirag Patel
    Participant

I am not a federal employee yet but even if I was I would support this legislation. This should apply to politicians as well as other feds. You got to set the bar high for the rest of us or else everyone will follow so just imagine running govt. without enough money. We almost had a shutdown, didn’t we?

Carol Davison
    Participant

According to what you wrote 96% of Feds pay their taxes. Congress should spend its time on producing meaningful results like balancing the budget and stop wasting its time on non productive issues of this type. We have too many pointless law already.

Jana Opperman
    Participant

Why not offer a “choice”? The guilty party must work from January to May (isn’t that the amount of time it takes for us to pay up our taxes for the whole year?) without pay, and cannot go on Unemployment or Welfare or use any other government service. If they don’t pay local taxes, they won’t get their garbage picked up by the local town, they will have to home school their kids (Or go to a private school that doesn’t take public vouchures) etc. Or they loose their public servant job opportunity.

Oh and if it this person holds a job for which they were voted in-they loose ALL their benefits (usually provided for the rest of their lives-even if they resign), no high quality level health care, pension, etc.

Deena Larsen
    Participant

What about making that across the board–feds, non-feds, corporate CEOs, etc.

Jeff Tschudi
    Participant

Agreed! This is exactly what I was going to write.

In principle I agree with the legislation but the data supporting it shows that there is a very smal problem. I beleive many legislators think they have to write legislation to be thought of as productive. What we end up with is endless laws that don’t make a damn bit of difference and confuse many people.

Spend your time correcting what already exists (including the budget) and add more legislation on a limited basis.

We can’t even effectivley enforce the laws that are on the books now, so why don’t we improve that before we start adding new ones!

John Evans
    Participant

IRS employees are already subject to requirements that we file timely, accurate returns and full pay any tax owed by the filing deadline. We are also audited every year. As with any other taxpayer, we have the right to a payment plan, if we qualify, but a note of this is entered into your personnel records, where it remains for 6 years. Good luck with getting a transfer or promotion with such a note in your file. I wonder how many of the “Federal employees ” cited are really Postal Service employees. In my experience, very few Federal employees owe any significant sum, but there seem to be quite a few USPS tax delinquents. While the concept sounds appealing, my wager would be that the costs of such legislation would far exceed any benefit.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.