DAU / Huntsville AL Information Needed – Anyone?

Home Forums Miscellaneous DAU / Huntsville AL Information Needed – Anyone?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Amanda Blount 9 years ago.

• Author

Amanda Blount
    Participant

I will be attending DAU campus in AL at the end of OCT. I have attended DAU in other places in the past, but never the AL campus. Anyone have any ideas what hotel I should reserve (I need a small room refridgerator and microwave), where I should go out to eat, and maybe go out to dance over the weekend? I will have my own vehicle, so travel will not be an issue. I will be there for two weeks, so over the middle weekend, I want to have a little fun sightseeing and hopefully get in some dancing. Please let me know. I would hate to go down there blind when there is so many people who have been there. 🙂 Thank you in advance for your help!

Amanda Blount
    Participant

Ok I am a planner. I can’t help it. 🙂 I admit, even when I try to be spontaneous, I even plan how I will do that. By the time I get down there I will have everyday planned, and then I will change it a little as I go along.
    So, Any help will be appreciated. 🙂

Henry Brown
    Participant

Amanda:

Welcome to the Rocket city….

Because this is ONE of NASA’s primary sites and DOD has a MASSIVE presence here, Just about every chain hotel has a presence here but MY PERSONAL recommendations for lodging would be
    1.Extended Stay Inn on Governor’s House dr
    2. La Quinta Inn Research Park
    3. Best western Exit 14B.

NIGHT life is almost NON-existent here, at least at this time, on the horizon are 2 “nightclubs” but….

Eating places are rather varied. The US Chamber of Commerce a year or so declared that Huntsville has the MOST restaurants per capita in the US.

MOST of the usual “chain restaurants” have a presence here and there are probably 15 or 20 mini-chains (3 or 4 restaurants in the SE) which are available for local dining.

There are 3 or 4 “local” German restaurants in town (left over from the German presence right after WWII

There are 4 or 5 “local” Japanese restaurants, due to the presence of a Toyota plant

Having spent some time in Texas, I am NOT overly impressed with either the Mexican food nor barbecue offered here

MY personal choice is the local “bistro style” restaurant which I will list some of them in NO specific order

1. D&L Bistro
    2. 801 Franklin
    3. Bistro De Ville
    4. Pauli’s Bar & Grill
    5. Chef’s Table
    6. Luciano’s
    8. Berlin Cafe
    9. Cotton Row

If you are interested send me an email and I will get back to you “offline” with more details

Amanda Blount
    Participant

Well Cool! Thank you! This sounds like I will have some fun for the two weeks I will be there. I also want to visit some of the site on the middle weekend. No need to come to Rocket city, without seeing a few rockets…right? 🙂

Plus, I would love to meet some Govloop people in real life. I think that would be fun. And since I will be there for two weeks, I have plenty of time to make plans to meet a few folks.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.