March 13, 2015 at 11:25 am #240469
Communications Specialist – Detail Opportunity
The NOAA Restoration Center has a 3-6-month detail opportunity to serve as a Communications Specialist. The assignment will focus on developing a Congressional outreach plan; managing outreach planning associated with aspects of the Deepwater Horizon Natural Resources Damage Assessment process, and contributing content development for general restoration and habitat conservation priorities.
The NOAA Restoration Center is a division within the NOAA Fisheries Office of Habitat Conservation. We execute both proactive and responsive habitat restoration to achieve NOAA goals. This position directly supports the leadership of the division and the programs executing the restoration.
Preferred Start Date – April 2015
Key Objectives/Outcomes for Position:
1. Lead roll out of Phase III and Phase IV early restoration for the Deepwater Horizon NRDA for NOAA.
The communications work will be heavy in FY15 as we begin to implement Phase III projects and potentially roll out Phase IV and Phase V plans. Working with representatives from Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Mississippi and Alabama, as well as other federal agencies, the incumbent would jointly manage publicity and outreach for projects under construction, as well as the development of materials and plans for Phase IV (and possibly Phase V) rollout. This position may include some travel to the Gulf of Mexico region.
2. Develop a Congressional outreach plan and oversee execution.
May-September represents our traditional outreach season to Congress. This involves review of current congressional targets (the list changes as old members retire, committee assignments change, and new members appear) as well as a review of our most important opportunities throughout each region. A communications staff member is needed to develop this review and coordinate with the regions to identify our best opportunities for site visits and to implement a plan with the approval of OHC leadership as well as Fisheries leadership and Legislative Affairs.
3. Support and oversee general programmatic stakeholder and constituent outreach efforts.
The Communications Specialist may also contribute to developing targeted communications plans based on regional strategic plans or other content such as fact sheets, story maps, or press releases to support general program and stakeholder outreach.
This detail is designed to:
● Provide an opportunity for interagency leadership and collaboration through the Deepwater Horizon public affairs group;
● Develop an understanding of the Natural Resources Damage Assessment process and conducting communications and outreach in a politically and legally sensitive environment
● Hone leadership and coordination skills through working with multiple regional supervisors, Division leadership and Office leadership.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.