Developing Award Criteria for Public Contracts?

Home Forums Acquisitions Developing Award Criteria for Public Contracts?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Michael Asner 7 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Candace Riddle
    Participant

How do you develop award criteria for procurements that you are a part of? I’m looking for process, procedures, common criterion used etc.

Michael Asner
    Participant

There is a lot written on this topic. NM’s RFP Guide provides a good starting discussion of evaluation factors…here is the link: http://www.generalservices.state.nm.us/uploads/files/rfpProcurementGuide.pdf

Also, NY States Procurement Guide establishes minimum requirements in an RFP.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Jaime Gracia
    Participant

Candace – The procedures and methodology for public and private sector procurements should be very similar.

The most important aspect of developing the criteria should be well documented, and thorough market research. The Request for Information (RFI) should ask industry for the common criteria used to evaluate vendors according to the specs and requirements.

Of course price will be a factor, in addition to technical/management criteria. Past performance should be a very important factor, as success on previous engagements should be a precursor for future success. The private sector places more importance on this factor than the public sector, but should nonetheless be important for evaluating an offer.

Kevin Schafer
    Participant

I think it takes the right government employee to seek the public in the private sector. They must have the ability to seek the right person with a love for their country… 🙂

Kevin Schafer
    Participant

I also think, it is AWESOME of you Candance to ask this question… It demonstrates your ambition.

Jeannie Holler
    Participant

I have just started reviewing this manual and it looks well written and thought out. Thanks for sharing.

The Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) also have a lot of information on this subject.

J

Sterling Whitehead
    Participant

I’d Google the new Defense Department source selection procedures. There were a series of big changes made recently.

HI Candace,

The Department of General Services develops award criteria for the County-wide agreements and the criteria is published in the release of the Request for Proposal (RFP). When our department (Waste Management & Recycling) releases its own RFP, we also state the evaluation criteria in the proposal for the potential proposers. I have attached a sample from an old RFP for Janitorial Services. It’s not exactly a process, but I’m hoping it can help you. Thank you.

Michael, Thank you very much for your contribution. This is good stuff!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.