Did you feel the earthquake? What did you do?

Home Forums Miscellaneous Did you feel the earthquake? What did you do?

This topic contains 57 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 6 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Big earthquake just hit east coast…

Anyone else feel it?

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

VA, OPM, DOD seems to be evacuating.

Andrea Baker
    Participant

Felt it here in Silver Spring/Wheaton, Whole house shook. We ran outside without our phones. Instinct was earthquake but we wanted to be sure it wasn’t construction or something else. Glad our instinct was to get out of the basement.

Justin Mosebach
    Participant

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Just got back into office.

Who else felt it? Heard Toronto to NC?

Felt it here in Durham, North Carolina. My first one! See this tweet from USGS below:

Here’s that link: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/events/us/c0005ild/us/index.html

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

David Harrity

LazyDonut Abraham

@

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Looks like many being sent home – Just told at our building at to gather our stuff and go home. Guessing others will follow suit.

Mark Hammer
    Participant

CBC reported it here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/08/23/quake-virginia.html and people seem to be saying “Yeah, I felt it” from central New Brunswick to southwestern Ontario. People in my city (Ottawa) are saying they felt it, but quite frankly, I have no idea what they’re talking about. Other than some posts, no hint of any rumbling here. We had “our earthquake” back in March when the light fixtures at work started shaking and a few windows cracked. It’s your turn now.

Stay safe.

Lori Lewellyn
    Participant

Our office is on the second floor and there are only stairs to get to us. I thought we were being ambushed or something. It sounded like 20 guys running up the stairs. I was ready to hide under my desk when someone came running yelling “Get out of the building”. As I started running I hear the Telly awards falling off the trophy case, of course I thought it was the roof caving in….I just ran! It’s been two hours! My heart is still racing!

Fairfax, Virginia

Tiffany
    Participant

I was in the elevator! Once the doors shut, everything began to shake but it kept moving up. Lasted just until the doors opened and we ran out to tell the facilities team about a broken elevator and got redirected to the stairs to evacuate. Overall, not a bad first earthquake, just hope I’m not in an elevator next time!

Stephanie Slade
    Participant

Scary… That’s the last place I’d want to be!

David Dejewski
    Participant

Yup. Felt it here. Stepped outside. Said hi to the neighbors.

Kathleen Smith
    Participant

Was working at home, got my puppy outside and away from the house. Lots of training on what to do back in California. After checking the gas lines and other electrical in the house, I went to check on my elderly neighbors who were pretty badly shaken.

David Dejewski
    Participant

According to local County Govt report, USGS advises that we have a 10% likelihood of another significant shock over the next 24hrs.

What’s your plan if we do?

I’m hoping my neighbor has the BBQ going. That man can cook!

This is sort of funny. I was listening to music at my desk with headphones on – helps me concentrate when coding. I had the volume loud because I tend to get distracted and I really had to focus.

All of a sudden the table shakes.

I think to myself, wow that’s a good song! and keep working.

Then it seriously shakes again and the floor rumbles underneath me.

I think, that’s weird, is somebody vaccuuming?

Then I think, hey wait a minute didn’t they topple Gaddhafi today? And I look around me and reflect on the fact that I work in downtown DC. Oh no, I think. A terrorist retaliation of some kind.

Everybody else has the same thought at the same time, apparently. We do the prairie dog thing with heads sticking out of the cubes, then running to the window to see what’s what. A little dazed.

Then we’re up and out. Evacuated.

The worst part of it was crushing on to the train at Metro Center. I was sure, from all the screaming, (“let ’em off,”) that there was gonna be a fight.

Julie Chase
    Participant

My supervisor felt it first and shouted out to us if we felt anything move….and that’s when we answered, “YES”. I remember thinking, ok, was that an earthquake??? Great, and in just 3 days Hurricane Irene is going to knock at our door. As you may know when it comes hurricanes, NC makes sure it’s thumb it up and ready to take a ride. What I thought was amazing, I checked my Facebook (shhhhh…not supposed to do that on Uncle Sam’s computers)……friends I knew in Richmond, VA and other parts of VA posted they lost cell service and land line service, but Facebook was going strong. My screen froze up, and I thought, “uh oh, Big Brother is watching, gotta get back to work.”

Denise Hill
    Participant

Scary is entering the Metro and going two levels down after a quake. Waiting on a crowded platform then loading into an already crowded train.

Ed Albetski
    Participant

My son’s office got evacuated but with everyone dismissed at once, traffic was at a standstill. He opted for appetizers and a couple of cold ones at the Post Pub on L Street while the streets cleared. Everyone at the bar had a similar tale of the quake. We were on the road, had just crossed the Wilson Bridge. I guess we just took the quake for a bumpy road. Had lots of books and stuff to pick up when we got home though. Now I know how the folks in California feel…

Sam Snead
    Participant

LOL! I did what I was supposed to do. I left the building and instructed others to do so. People were panicked. I kept pretty calm. My cell service was operational but not an optimal level.

Since I lived in California and have been through several tremors I was prepared. Those not used to it were understably terriified at first. It will be okay DC. Let’s return to our committed public service positions today.

Anonymous

I was in my office on a conference call. Everyone in my agency evacuated in a calm and safe manner and we all followed our evacuation plan. No one was hurt! A reporter on a cable TV network implied, in my view, that the early dismissal of federal employees in DC caused the overcrowding and mayhem in the Metro system. I was not surprised at the bashing because feds take it all the time. But, given the circumstances, I felt it was inappropriate and unfair.

Sam Snead
    Participant

Was the reporter from FOX news.?..LOL! Plenty of non-federal workers were dismissed due to their bldgs being inspected for structural integrity…

Anonymous

@Sam, No, it was not Fox. I don’t want to name the network here. I intend to email the network about the bashing. The network won’t care but I intend to stick up for feds.

Cindy McCourt
    Participant

I lived in CA in 71 when the 6.6 quake hit. Lots of damage in that quake. I remember waking up to my bed shaking and stuff falling off shelves. In that one, my memory is a steady shaking that was over quickly. In this one, the scary part for me was the gradual build in shaking. I have felt quakes and shocks in CA and in VA and this one just seemed different. The scary part was wondering when the intensity would level off and end. The aftershocks I felt last night were familiar – shake and done – like in LA. I was home when it hit and got under an entrance/door frame, watched stuff come off the shelves (again), and held my dog until it ended.

Sam Snead
    Participant

Good call. These reporters should be scrutinized for as much bashing as they do.

Neal Meyerson
    Participant

Yes definitely felt it on the 11th floor of our building in Rockville, MD. After a few seconds we all headed to the stairway and got out of the building as fast as we could.

DC ROCKS!!!

Anonymous

@Sam, Thank you. Maybe this reporter has never been scared in his life ;-).

Sam Snead
    Participant

DC Rocks…Sounds like a perfect t-shirt!

Sam Snead
    Participant

Reporters = Toolbags…They typically are just bobbleheads reading from a teleprompter,,,Watch anchorman…Classic!

Angel Delgado
    Participant

Maybe he felt that the “sudden” dismissal, instead of a timed dismissal of hundred of thousands of feds and contractors, was not a good idea. Just saying….

Anonymous

@Angel, Bashing is never appropriate, IMHO.

Angel Delgado
    Participant

Like!! Oh wait…there is no such a button here!!

Sam Snead
    Participant

Some buildings’ structural integrity was compromised. At my federal building people were trapped in the elevator. Again, reporters typically don’t always know all of the facts…His source was probably twitter.

Anna Abbey
    Participant

Why did everyone run out of the buildings?! Seems like a dangerous option to me.

I stood in a doorway, a co-worker from CA smartly rolled under a table, and everyone else seemed to stream out of the building or stand around aimlessly…. Maybe this is a good time for us all to familiarize ourselves with good Earthquake responses: FEMA: What to do during an Earthquake

Sam Snead
    Participant

LOL! Because if the building falls over you won’t likely survive.

Anonymous

@Sam, Twitter, indeed! Considering the traumatic event, I think people handled themselves well. We are not used to tremors here. The Metro (train) was very crowded but, on balance, I found most people to be polite. You will always have those “squeezers” who try to fit on the car when they cannot.

Anonymous

I was under my desk and did not want to leave immediately. Sometimes one is safer inside than outside.

I work for OPM’s Federal Executive Institute in Charlottesville. At first I thought it was construction, then when it got stronger I knew it was something much worse. I was in disbelief that it was an earthquake, we are on the east coast. I didn’t take it serious until I found out the epicenter was in Mineral, VA. My daughter’s high school is in Mineral and my sister works at North Anna power plant in Mineral. My daughter texted me to say she was ok but kids had gotten hurt. One of them was our cousin. She’s much better today. My sister texted me to let me know she was ok, but the plant had some damage and they weren’t letting anyone go home until midnight when the relief crew arrives. Yesterday ended up being a scary day for me, but for my daughter, cousin and sister it was probably the worse day of their life. The schools in Louisa county are closed until after Labor Day. Louisa County and Mineral, VA will never be the same again.

C Stephenson
    Participant

I own a little boutique in Arlington on Lee Highway, called The Barcelona Boutique, a few doors down from District Taco. Everyone ran out into the parking lot and I learned this morning that we really were not supposed to do that!

BTW, I have really trendy casual wear and classic couture career wear at 50% off right now! 60% to anyone who mentions this post!

Angel Delgado
    Participant

Another NON public service announcement!!

C Stephenson
    Participant

It was actually intended to be a public service announcement because we aren’t supposed to run out into the parking lot!! We are supposed to stand in a sturdy doorway.

I hope I didn’t offend anyone, it is just that in this economy, I thought women might also like to know where they can get 60% off by a shop owner who was in high tech sales forever and now would like to help women dress for much less!

My sincerest apologies to anyone who was offended.

Anonymous

@Sherri, Wow! Please keep us posted on the developments. I am glad that your family is ok.

@Susan, thank u and I will keep everyone posted.

Gary M. Morin
    Participant

The DC-area Metro is hardly the world class system, to begin with, that should be running through Washington DC. Fill it up with Federal employees, most of whom are, admittedly, bureaucrats in it for the benefits and who stand in the way of real program staff, and mayhem is sure to take place.

Carol Davison
    Participant

Although this was my third earthquake, I didn’t recongize it was one, and tried to leave the building instead of taking shelter. 9-11 does that to you.

Anna, thanks for the earthquake tips. We Easterners experience them so rarely noone knows what to do. Hopefully all safety offices will now know to tell employees to take cover.

Susan, as for anchor men dissing Feds, I don’t see a problem with your posting his name and contact info here so we all can air our grievances with him. I think leadership made the correct decision in closing our building until they knew it was sound.

Dawn Dawson
    Participant

After reading all the posts will add “Do not be in a Doorway” http://www.shakeout.org/centralus/dropcoverholdon/ Ample evidence as to why a doorway is the worst place to be unless you have a true adobe built house and also do not stand outside the building because of falling debris. Stay safe

http://www.dropcoverholdon.org/ http://www.scribd.com/doc/62933759/Protecting-Your-Family-From-Earthquakes and link http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/2007/42/

Anna Abbey
    Participant

Anytime! It was my very first earthquake…I think I dug deep into memories from elementary school training to go to the door frame, but apparently that isn’t the recommended action either. Duck and cover seems to be the way to go. 🙂

Kenneth Wells
    Participant

I felt it, but I didn’t believe it was an earthquake at first. I was finishing a late lunch when I felt the tremor. I first thought one of the buildings that is being constructed collasped. However, when I looked out the window and saw the building still standing, that is when I realized it was an earthquake. All buildings were evacuated for a few minutes, then we all went back inside. It was an interesting experience!

MARTHA VALLIER
    Participant

A colleague and I was having lunch at a restaurant next door to our office building in Rockville, MD.

All of a sudden the tables started to shake, then I saw the glass doors move from sided to side and up and down really fast.

In a calm voice (which is unusual for me), I said “Oh my God, I think we are having an eartquake”; then it was over.

It wasn’t scaring, it was sort of calming.

Martha Vallier

Allison Primack
    Participant

Definitely felt it! I just moved here from California and honestly forgot that DC doesn’t have earthquakes until everyone else in the building panicked. However it is one of the biggest earthquakes I’ve felt in a while!

Paul Homan
    Participant

I lived in LA for five years, so I guess I was a little underwhelmed by it all. It was a bit surprising to me that buildings were evacuated, although I hear initially people in the Capitol thought it was a terrorist attack.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster
    I’m curious – what’s the typical response in California? I was actually confused what I was supposed to do. After done for 10 minutes, I figured keep working. But then evacuation and more confusion.

Paul Homan
    Participant

For something that size? There is typically very little response. I remember being at home in my apartment one afternoon in LA and initially thought that it was my neighbors playing loud music. After it passed, everyone went about their daily routine. There were some that I actually had slept through. People had talked about it the next day, and I was completely oblivious.

However, I think it can be frightening for those, who don’t know what being through an earthquake is like and that can obviously be a little bit jolting. After the quake yesterday, I went about my day and just took for granted that my school would be open and the metro would be running normally. It wasn’t until my roommate had called me to say that downtown was a mess with buildings being evacuated and our school had shut down for the remainder of the day. It immediately hit me, “Oh right, DC never has tremors like this.”

I don’t want to sit in judgment and try to minimize the after-effects of the quake. I play racquetball at the Jewish Community Center in Dupont Circle, and apparently the earthquake caused damage to the courts there.

Gary M. Morin
    Participant

interesting – I have a meeting at the JCC this evening but perhaps the meeting rooms and the building overall are still okay

Allison Primack
    Participant

I agree with Paul. I lived up in the San Francisco Bay Area and went to school in San Diego, and in both cities very little happened if the quake was under 6.0. There is mention that they occurred, but thats about it. On the other hand buildings in California are built to codes that are designed to withstand these quakes, so it feels a little bit safer. I understand also that earthquakes can be terrifying to those who aren’t use to them, so I feel like the general public was a little more terrified than usual (ie. our phone lines would never be congested due to a 5.8 quake).

Anonymous

I think all buildings should be built to codes that are designed to withstand quakes and other forces of nature. People in DC were very confused as to what they should have done and in some cases directions given were the opposite of what emergency personnel recommend.

Nathan Greenhut
    Participant

I heard the earthquake over the phone minutes before it hit, since I was on the phone with people close to the epicenter. I asked others if they felt it. Then it hit New Jersey. Then I started to wonder how often this happened and found out it was once every 40 years. I also found out that animals in the local zoo started acting strange minutes before it hit. I wonder if a gut feeling or some sort of analytics in the animal’s brains made this happen. Imagine if you had a way of predicting events minutes, hours, days or months ahead of time. If you are interested in doing that, visit https://www.govloop.com/group/analyticstooutcomes.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.