Do you belong to your municipal Chamber of Commerce?

Home Forums Leadership and Management Do you belong to your municipal Chamber of Commerce?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jana gallatin 8 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Ari Herzog

I’m wondering how many consultants and strategists in the same boat as me belong to their local Chamber of Commerce. If so, how is your membership assisting you and/or how does the Chamber advocate on your behalf?

If you can share the annual cost and where you are, that would help, too. Thanks!

jana gallatin
    Participant

I am a member of the local chamber, but they are kind of a cliquish bunch….so I joined Rotary which has done far more for the community. Rotary clubs welcome visitors from other clubs the world over. In my experience they seek out ways to connect with you as a person and then as a team mate in getting things done. I like it.

Chamber Annual cost is $120, Sonoita, AZ and has monthly mixers.
    Rotary is more expensive and meets weekly.

Rick Alcantara
    Participant

I was a very active member of the regional chamber of commerce for three years. I met a lot of great people, served on committees and even acted as an ambassador at events. While the experience was fun, it failed to produce in the one area that was paramount for joining: generating meaningful leads. So, when it came time to look at the organizations that “carried their weight” and the ones that did not, the chamber lost.

Dave Bartholomay
    Participant

I’m a Mayor and our city joined the area Chamber (suburban Mpls-St. Paul) a couple years ago. It’s a very small operation, but I’ve seen mostly bankers / mortgage types and others at the meetings so far. However, I have noticed a couple of consultants (e.g. communications, desktop publishing types) and they seem to do a pretty good job of networking. I’m not sure how much business they get – but I suspect that part of the decision to join rests on whether the Chamber members themselves are folks you see as prospects for work, or whether having membership would get you some PR, credibility, etc.
    I should mention that our local chamber just set up a new lower rate structure for ‘home-based’ businesses to try to make it more affordable for consultants, sole proprietors, etc. I’m not sure how much it costs per year though…here is the link to our chamber.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.