Do you have a Formal Employee Suggestion program?

Home Forums Budgeting Do you have a Formal Employee Suggestion program?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Kerry Ann O’Connor 7 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Gary T Lefko
    Participant

Hi all

We are looking to design a U. S. Forest Service, Chief Information Office employee suggestion program. If your agency (or you know of others) has a formal one can you share program structure, guidance, regulations, process (collectrion of ideas, vetting ideas, resourcing ideas, implementing ideas, recognition, etc) send [email protected]

Thanks Gary

Hi Gary –

We have an Interagency Community of Practice that has about 20 agencies that do this sort of thing, using ideation software. If you have (or create) and OMB MAX log-on, we can get you access to the site with all that good stuff.

Drop me a line and I can tell you about the program we’re running at the Department of State.

Cheers,

Kerry

U.S. Department of State

Executive Secretariat

Carol Davison
    Participant

The National Security Agency and U.S.A.F. used to have them, and may still do so. One of my co-workers was awarded $23,000 for this cost saving suggestion!

Sterling Whitehead
    Participant

Kerry, is the Interagency Community of Practice called the Interagency Community of Practice on OMB MAX? I can’t find it.

Gary T Lefko
    Participant

Thanks requested an ID. Makes one wonder (in Fed Gov) how many wonderful resources are out there that we don’t know about and can’t find … 🙂 Gary

Terrence Hill
    Participant

TSA has a great system called IdeaFactory. It is basically a blog where employees can submit ideas, vote for their favorites, comment and track. OPM recently adopted it from free. If you are interested, send me an e-mail at [email protected]. I can demo it for you and TSA will provide you with a DVD with the code, as well as a manual/SOP on how to manage the program. It’s a great program and you can’t beat the cost. For samples of similar programs, check out MyStarbucksIdea.com and Dell’s Ideastorm.

Michael L Bostrom
    Participant

Gary: I just finished devloping a beneficial suggestion program for Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton based on the Marine Corps Order. I will email you the Marine Corps Order and the Camp Pendleton Order that we developed. They are both still in draft form until the Marine Corps Order is finalized. I can send you the completed order once it is published. The team I worked with also developed training for New Employees/Newly joined Marines and is in the process of developing marketing materials for the program – to inlcude a training video. Once you receive my email, let me know if you would be interested in anything else that we have developed….

Mike

It’s called the Ideation Community of Practice on OMB MAX. Drop me an email to my work account: OConnorKA at state.gov and I give you more info.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Really – $23k! That’s awesome

Scott Kearby
    Participant

Check out Harford County Maryland online site – Innovation in Harford County

http://harfordcountymd.spigit.com/homepagelight

Gary T Lefko
    Participant

Thanks for all the tips/emails. Gary

Gary T Lefko
    Participant

Scott what version of IdeaScale app are you (Hartford County) using-Civic? Gary

Gary T Lefko
    Participant

Me again … 🙂 … most likely we are going to be using IdeaJam software for “idea management” for our employee suggestion program. Two new questions for you all.

1) Given dwindling budgets, overresourced, existing program of work priorities–how do you manage in the backend the suggestions generated by your employees (evaluation, implmenetation, resourcing, etc) against “all the work you are suppose to do?”

2) Do you have formal (backend processing) documentation you can email me ([email protected]) so we can see how your “behind the scenes” process works in managing the ideas after they are collected?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.