Do you have an office book club?

Home Forums Miscellaneous Do you have an office book club?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Teresa Hughes 5 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Danielle Oberdick
    Participant

Does anyone have an office book club?

If so, what is your format? Are people really interested? Do you read business, Government, and/or entertaining books? Did management support the start of the book club or was it started by a co-worker?

Any information you can provide would be helpful. I was given this suggestion for our training program and I’m curious if anyone else has one.

Thanks!

Teresa Hughes
    Participant

We have a book club at the National Institute of Standards & Technology. I joined in 2009 (and, they have been meeting since 2005). Our Wellness Program/Employee Assistance Program posts announcements regarding the upcoming meetings – location & topic – on our Administrative Calendar.

Our format has changed recently. We meet once a month on the second Wednesday of the month during the lunch hour (12:00-1:00). We alternate between a general book discussion one month and the following month we take turns acting as a facilitator for a specific book. We vote for selections and generally have the next 3 book selections chosen to allow adequate time for reading.

Our book club is very diverse and we read all types of genres. It is a wonderful way to stretch our reading interests. The selections are chosen during our general book discussion meetings by vote. The most recent selection, “A Clockwork Universe” by Edward Dolnick was one of our most popular selections. I really enjoyed it and probably would not have chosen this novel as reading material on my own.

I would like to “grow” this club by incorporating book signing outings and book festivals as venues to share our love of reading outside of work hours. It might be fun to also see the film versions of recent reading selections as a voluntary activity for those who may be interested. Our group is growing and I see possibilities for extentions with additional activities.

Let me know if you have any questions or if you would like to see a listing of our past reading selections.

Paul Alberti
    Participant

I started a book list of suggested reading within the DHS OCIO, created a dialog box in SharePoint asking if anyone had suggestions or comments on any of the books. I did not get much response. The list was not just IT related, but management, leadership, and such. Maybe I need to re-energise it, create some publicity around it!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.