Do you speak plainly?

Home Forums Citizen Engagement & Customer Service Do you speak plainly?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Jeff S 8 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Joshua Aaron DeLung
    Participant

Once a notorious offender of obfuscation, the federal government is making strides when it comes to writing clearly.

Check out these tips we’ve put together on plain language for government (after all, plain language is the law) websites!

What other plain language advice do you have? What are some of the best (and worst) examples you’ve seen in government for plain language?

Jeff S
    Participant

Plain language will only reach my Division when we have enough retirements to move the Baby Boomers out of the way they were taught.

Samuel Lovett
    Participant

Great tips. Love this quote:

“You don’t write because you want to say something, you write because you have something to say.”

Keeping it simple is about accessibility as much as anything else. Even if some government writers may feel that professorial is official, it is more useful to convey the facts in a simple way.

Katherine Spivey
    Participant

Joshua Aaron DeLung
    Participant

Ha. Any chance you’d have luck getting an outside group of strategists to come in and help?

Joshua Aaron DeLung
    Participant

Absolutely. Thanks for reading.

Joshua Aaron DeLung
    Participant

Thanks, Katherine!

Jeff S
    Participant

I would say nope. We are still having issues with the mandated teleworking. First we needed a policy which they wrote that made no one eligible. I expect the same with this clear writing act. Unless it becomes a major performance issue with upper mgmt then it will get implemented.

Peter G. Tuttle
    Participant

Indubitably!!

Joshua Aaron DeLung
    Participant

Hopefully it will. In fact, the new digital government strategy that was just released provides even more requirements for agencies to meet in this area.

Jay Johnson
    Participant

I’m reading The Elements of Style (William Strunk), another ‘oldie but a goodie’ from the same time period.

Mark Sullivan
    Participant

Washington State has also had a plain talk initiative for several years:

http://www.governor.wa.gov/priorities/plaintalk

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.