Does your organization give credit where credit is due?

Home Forums Leadership and Management Does your organization give credit where credit is due?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Janina R. Harrison 7 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Chris Cairns
    Participant

I had the fortune of working two separate internships at GE before graduating. As you know, greatness is in GE’s DNA, and one of the key lessons that I learned about business conduct is to always give credit where credit is due.

GE managers obnoxiously went out of their way to make sure that people received proper credit for anything creditworthy. Take, for example, a junior employee at GE who suggested reverse auctioning for supplies and materials. Who got credit for it? He did. In fact, Jack Welch went so far as to even call him out by name in one of his books. It wasn’t his immediate manager. Nor was it his manager’s manager who got the credit. That’s the right way to do business. (Keep in mind GE is 300k+ employees. There were a lot of people in the food chain who could have stolen credit.)

I’m not sure about you, but one of my biggest pet peeves is co-workers taking credit for something else that someone did (even partial credit).

What is your organization’s “giving credit” policy? Any good or bad examples?

Janina R. Harrison
    Participant

I have seen individuals in our organization who give credit where credit is due and vice versa, those who believe that you are just doing your job. They don’t believe in singling out exceptional thoughts, but will take credit for the great job their department did by accepting awards, when they tell their staff, they don’t believe in awards.

It would be better if it were a corporate culture. Not giving credit where credit is due errodes trust.

Chris Cairns
    Participant

You’re absolutely right — it erodes trust, which discourages employees from either bringing forth new ideas or taking initiative.

I think it’s all about having a culture of abundance vs. scarcity. If someone believes that praise is offered out in drips and drops – and only to a select few – then you’re going to be stingy and strive to steal the credit for yourself. If you believe there’s enough for everyone – and that you lose nothing when you give something away – you’ll lavish credit on those around you. And the real bonus: when the culture relishes in finding as many ways to praise colleagues and spread the credit around – not just abundance in that case, but extreme generosity – you’ve really got something special.

Janina R. Harrison
    Participant

This is so true. Let’s not forget to reinforce fellow workers when errors happen, that it is OK, let’s just fix it and learn from it. Maybe do some problem solving and rethink processes to to prevent future errors. Then praise for the creative thinking that brings about change.

Chris Cairns
    Participant

Andrew, that’s such a great model for explaining this type of problem.

Chris Cairns
    Participant

Absolutely agree.

Noha Gaber
    Participant

I’ve been thinking about this recently too….from my experience I’ve seen the following:

– co-workers taking credit for others work

– managers taking credit for their staff’s work

– managers giving credit unequally (consistently singling out certain team members but not acknowledging other equally or even more hard-working and accomplishing team members)

– credit given based on position or rank (credit given to a senior manager, while the work was done by staff)

In my perspective giving credit inaccurately is worse than not giving credit at all 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.