Dress Codes - New Restrictions on Body Art

Home Forums Careers Dress Codes - New Restrictions on Body Art

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Tricia 7 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Ed Powell
    Participant

Long sleeve shirts year-round, wide watchbands and high cut blouses are making a comeback along with some new variations like ankle make-up. What’s the source? Many companies and government agencies are rewriting and updating “Dress Codes.”

What’s the cause? Body art!

Making changes like this have always been fraught with risk and, it seems that the slippery slope has just gotten slipperier!

Look at the new policy at some U.S. Courts.

“Guidelines for Grooming and Personal Appearance

Employees are expected to be well-groomed and professional in appearance.
    Visible body piercings other than pierced ears are prohibited. Visible body art and tattoos are also prohibited. Punk or other hair styles incompatible with the highest standards of business casual dress and appearance is prohibited.”

Does your agency or company have a dress code that you can share with your fellow “Loopers?

Please post it!

Tricia
    Participant

From the Arizona Department of Administration Employee Handbook (and I might add, pretty vague!)

Dress and Grooming Standards

Your appearance projects an image to your customers, including the general public, about State employees and ADOA. Each ADOA employee is expected to practice good grooming habits and to dress in a manner that is appropriate to the position and the assigned work activities. Since what may be considered appropriate can vary from unit to unit, or position to position, you should ask your supervisor for guidance.

Tricia
    Participant

I forgot to mention, Ed - you might want to try posting in the HR group here on GovLoop as well. You might get some responses there.

Jenyfer Johnson
    Participant

I work at an AFB and our dress code says nothing about body piercings or tattoos. It talks about wearing stuff like "tank tops, midriff tops and shorts" but I know that alot of women wear sleeveless shells to work and they aren't talked to so those aren't considered "tank tops".

I don't think they would want to address the issue of tattoos because it would affect so many of the shop guys and women and the heat here in the summer is between 90-100 there is no way that the Union would stand by and allow that to go through. They would argue that it would be putting people's health at risk for something so stupid as covering up a tattoo on their arm while they work potentially outside (if they work in Civil Engineering) when many of the military customers come walking in covered in tattoos while in civilian clothes. It would be a tough fight for management to win, I think.

I personally have a pink ribbon tattooed on my left wrist for my fight against breast cancer (in remission since Feb 2010), a small celtic dragon on my right wrist and several tattoos on both legs (visible when I wear a skirt) and a small diamond piercing in my nose...no one in management has EVER said anything and I am a Program Manager with almost 17 years here at the same job!

Ed Powell
    Participant

County's Dress Code Bans Tattoos and Jeans

The Board of Supervisors in San Bernardino County, California, has voted 4-0 to approve an employee dress code that bars denim, visible tattoos, and any piercing in the nose, lip, or tongue that contains jewelry, the Los Angeles Times reports.

The policy also prohibits excessively tight fitting or baggy clothes, shorts, overalls, and t-shirts and jerseys with graphics (including the logos of sports teams). The policy requires employees to cover up tattoos.
    The policy applies to the county's 17,000 employees, the newspaper notes. The policy allows department heads to make exceptions and allow employees to wear denim, overalls, and shorts.

"What I most dislike about the dress code is that it's being imposed by a group of people that are parochial in their views on fashion; they're very conventional in style and want to impose that on everybody," Stephen Rusher, a union representative, tells the newspaper.

The newspaper notes the while employees who violate the policy can be sent home without pay, they will be given a chance to appeal.

Ed Powell
    Participant

County adopts dress code

June 30, 2010 by WLKM
    The St. Joseph County Board of Commissioners has adopted a dress and grooming policy for county employees.

The policy, which was approved earlier this month, calls for county employees to maintain a neat and well-groomed appearance in accordance with their position and working conditions. Specifically, business attire is to be worn during the course of an employee’s normal work day.

County Administrator Judy West-Wing said the policy is general and employees understand good judgment should be used when dressing for work.

Exceptions to the code are made for employees whose jobs require uniforms, such as the sheriff’s department, animal control, and building and grounds. The county occasionally has a dress-down day and under that situation more casual attire is considered acceptable.

Ed Powell
    Participant

Town Bans Saggy Pants and Skirts (3" below top of hips)

(CNN) -- The mayor of Dublin, Georgia, is expected to sign an ordinance Tuesday that prohibits the wearing of saggy pants. Violators face fines up to $200.

The amendment to the municipality's indecent exposure ordinance will be put into immediate effect at the city council meeting, Mayor Phil Best told CNN.

It bans the wearing of pants or skirts "more than three inches below the top of the hips exposing the skin or undergarments."

"We've gotten several complaints from citizens saying the folks with britches down below their buttocks was offensive, and wasn't there something we could do about it," Best said.

The mayor said after about a year of fielding complaints, he put the city attorney to work researching how other localities have dealt with the derriere dilemma. The result was that council members decided to put exposure due to baggy clothing in the same category as masturbation, fornication and urination in public places.

Patrolling for offenders will be left to local police in the town about 140 miles southeast of Atlanta. Violators could face fines ranging from $25 to $200, or court-mandated community service.

"That's not our intent, we'd [rather] not fine anybody but we are prepared to," Best said.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.