Election 2012: What’s An Important Issue to You?

Home Forums Miscellaneous Election 2012: What’s An Important Issue to You?

This topic contains 26 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Ami Wazlawik 7 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

David Dejewski
    Participant

What one issue do you think should be getting more play in the upcoming Presidential election?

Just noodling on how accurately the press and the political campaigns are connected with every day American issues. Is there something you think should be covered in more depth / detail?

Whatever you offer doesn’t have to be your personal hot button issue. Just make it something you think should be better covered (or covered at all).

What one issue do you think should be getting more play in the upcoming Presidential election?

Ami Wazlawik
    Participant

I can think of a few topics that have received little or no coverage: Climate change, poverty, racism/discrimination in the legal system, early childhood education

Mark Hammer
    Participant

As someone in another country, we get ample coverage of the presidential race, but much much less coverage of the congresssional and senatorial races. Is whatever folks feel missing from the presidential discourse present in the other campaigns, or is the presidential election reflective of what is and isn’t being discussed about other issues?

Tracy Letch
    Participant

I agree with Ami,

I would like to see her issues covered more. Like equality, fairness, and especially the legal system! Oh, Ami thanks for the ECE request. That is huge!

David Dejewski
    Participant

Mark – the Congressional and Senatorial races tend to be a much more local phenomenon in my experience. Living in the States, ordinary citizens don’t see much of those races outside of their own districts.

Mark Hammer
    Participant

Makes sense. On the other hand, the President is not the Emperor. Decisions on matters strongly connected to the issues Ami notes ARE made at the congressional and senatorial level. It’s not like candidates can’t speak to those issues. One may not see much of what candidates are stumping about a few states over, or even in nearby districts, for that matter, but I’m curious about whether candidates address broad matters of domestic policy, foreign policy, global issues; keeping in mind the distinction between what is contentious or sensitive, what is less locally relevant, what is beyond the perimeter of one’s own expertise, and what is simply being ignored because it’s not front page these days.

Terrence Hill
    Participant

Neither candidate seems to have a clear plan to reduce our deficit. No other issue is more important to me. Of course, governement spending needs to be reduced, but I’m not convinced that more tax cuts will necessarily result in more revenue. We are facing the big “S” – Sequestration – and nobody seems to be worried about the fiscal cliff.

Ami Wazlawik
    Participant

Follow up to my post – some good issues in here that haven’t been covered, and great commentary about why these issues are NOT being covered.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/21/sunday-review/candidates-and-the-truth-about-america.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&

Jeanette Perez
    Participant

Terry I completely agree with you. There has been so much loss in the economy that so many people are without…and not to mention that some more of our jobs are going international too..there is nothing wrong with that but, hey, do it even, fair and square or not at all. This Presidential term thats about to end seems to have done harm and very little good..I’m not trying to be negative but when those companies had to do lay-offs and pay cuts. I was one that was laid off. It was very difficult and hearing that I was over qualified in some and other companies saying they wish they could bring me on aboard but that they were on a freeze of hire…I was without work for 4 years, sleeping in my car, lost a home, lost everything..I cried everyday. I learned to go in life with not having any money at all. I donated plasma for fuel in my car. Now that I have a career with the State, I appreciate everything. So what do I think now? Of Obama and Romney? I’m highly worried for our Country..Quit pointing and bringing out faults..give me the exact plan details of the recovery of our Country, where are you going to start and if the equation is right it will end in what area with great success. Hmm, I wonder if that’s why it was imprinted on our bills of money, “In God we Trust”. Because of craziness like this. But, It’s just an opinion..

Samuel F Doucette
    Participant

My biggest issue not really covered very much — How will we maintain a strong military if sequestration occurs, especially in a still-dangerous world? How will we avoid hollowing out the military like what happened in the 1970s after Vietnam? Historically we always do this — build up the military during wartime, cut it too much during peace, get caught by surprise with another war, play catch-up to build up the military again. I don’t want history to repeat itself.

Dale M. Posthumus
    Participant

The economy, deficit, and govt spending are closely tied. Fix/reform/improve (whatever your position) will have a great effect on other issues. Few will worry about climate change as long as many people are out of work or underworked and the govt is cutting desired economic programs. The day-to-day struggle always trumps the longer term.

I am really tired of seeing so many of our young people coming home from war so broken or in body bags. I am not for dismantling our military, but I don’t want to see us going into wars not necessary. I have never been able to think about war without tearing up over the pain it brings to families and communities. So many of my friends never came back from Viet Nam or came back half crazy, druggies (not that a lot of those at home didn’t end up here either, they just didn’t have the trauma.) I can’t abide by people who are hawkish but have never been to war or never had family who did. I think I like the idea of old times when kings and leaders LEAD the troops. They were going in and if they had sons, so were they.

Ami has the rest of it right. And we do need to pay attention to what is happening in all our elections. Mark Hammer is right, who we elect in the lower levels rise to the top. Let’s make sure we are electing people who really care about their fellow citizens and future citizens. A lot of our financial woes came from short sighted decisions. Seems when I was a child it was very important, lots of discussions over dinner, around the water cooler, about all the possibilities. This is the first year I have seen similar activity in many years. I hate that we have so many Americans who do not exercise thier right to vote.

David Dejewski
    Participant

Food for thought. I just watched this film, Patriocracy.

Here’s a quick 2 minute trailer for the movie. An interesting discussion to follow:

David Dejewski
    Participant

Just one day away until elections. What issue is going to sway your vote?

David Dejewski
    Participant

Dale – based on Maslows hierarchy, I believe you are correct. I bet having a job is more important to most people than climate change. So I wonder how that will affect the vote?

David Dejewski
    Participant

Janina, riding into battle with your troops was the ultimate form of taking ownership and responsibility for war, was it not?

I wonder how we can make the elections more digestible to ordinary people. It seems things have gotten pretty complicated. I bet there will be options on these ballots this year that most of us will not be familiar with. 🙁

David Dejewski
    Participant

That bit of history has already repeated itself a few times over, Samuel. I’m sure you recall the lead up to our campaign in Northern Africa and Southern Europe. Many times we have been out of shape and kinda pathetic, but each time we came back strong. It’s part of our American heritage and it’s the stuff our books and movies are made of.

David Dejewski
    Participant

That deficit tsunami is most definitely gathering on the horizon. I wonder if that’s having an effect of the division of our political parties. No one will want to be the guy holding the reigns when the brunt of that hits main street America.

David Dejewski
    Participant

Wow. Strong article, Ami.

Reminds me of a similar post here on GovLoop titled “America is Not Number One Anymore.”

What if candidates spent some earnest time gathering up stories about what is right about America and building on that? What would they say?

Samuel F Doucette
    Participant

My vote is not sway-able (if that’s a word) since my mind was made up a long time ago regarding the candidates. In order of importance, my issues are 1) life and marriage issues; 2) religious freedom; 3) national defense; and 4) economic policy (fiscal, deficit, job creation). One candidate gets these right; the other does not.

David Dejewski
    Participant

Samuel – let us know when you actually cast your vote: I Voted in 2012, Did You?

Samuel F Doucette
    Participant

I will vote tonight on the way home. Even if the lines are long, MA polls stay open until 8:00 PM EST.

Dale M. Posthumus
    Participant

Many years ago I car pooled with a fellow (we worked in different agencies and were from different states) who said he votes selfishly — whatever is good for him and his family. Thus, if he had a job, he did not vote about unemployment, but would if he was unemployed or about to be. He voted for taxes while his kids were in school and against them once they were out. Although I disagree strongly with his approach, at least he had a consistent principle by which he lived/voted.

Janina R. Harrison
    Participant

This type of thinking is exactly why our government isn’t working. Too many in it for themselves people. People need to start having more of a community mindset. Especially our legislators and leaders.

Janina R. Harrison
    Participant

I was happy to see that there were many substantial issues on my local ballot that dealt with some of the harder issues. Hope to see more of that and have been getting more active in supporting those activities and people in our community.

As far a making elections more digestible, I think making sure that people aren’t being denied their right to vote is important. Although I think many of the efforts to suppress voting this year had the opposite affect. I will be interested in seeing the % of people who voted this year and see if it was up from last time.

Janina R. Harrison
    Participant

Loved the article, especially linking to the Ranking America. We are number one or at least high ranking for many things, but many things we should not be number one or high ranking in.

Janina R. Harrison
    Participant

It is rediculous to think that more tax cuts can increase revenue. Every time I hear that I cringe. Being a budget analyst I am very worried about Sequestration. Budget for my group is already bare bones and we rely much on grants and proposals which are lower now also. But I think we are better off than those who are used to only operating off of appropriations.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.