Election and Transition

Home Forums Leadership and Management Election and Transition

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 10 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Margaret Salazar
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’m wondering who out there has been through a transition to a new Administration. I have been in the federal government for about two years and I’m already seeing some changes made… we have a couple of initiatives that were on hold for the last few years that are now being quickly pushed forward. For example, to much surprise there is suddenly a huge hiring wave (and many jobs are in the field) pertaining to some pet projects of some political appointees. Anyone seeing similar things happen? Any thoughts on when we would see more changes in a new administration?

For additional blogs and great discussions about the transition, check out:

Next Four Years: Managing a Balancing Act

Transition is An Opportunity – Be Ready

How Are You Preparing for a Presidential Transition?

Also, check out Dwight Ink and Tom Fox discussing the transition with Chris Dorobek on the DorobekINSIDER:

Are you ready for the TRANSITION?

Get Past the Partisan Talk — How Career Feds Should Be Prepping for Transition

Memos to National Leaders: Transition Prep, Political Appointees Confirmations and More

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

I’m a little curious as well on the timing of things.

Specifically, what is the timeline on the various stages?

January 2009 new administration
    When is the Cabinet approved by?
    Non-Cabinet heads (i.e new EPA chief, GSA chief, etc) – ?
    Mid-level Politicals approve (political CIOs, head of policy, etc) – ?

Any other steps I’m missing?

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Pretty good article which some hints at timelines based on history-
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121625051695660117.html

Matthew W
    Participant

Margaret, one of the reasons that there is a lot of hiring going on is because budgets (including personnel) are expected to me much lower in years ahead… people want to fill, fill, fill the FTE now, now, now. So a lot of this is financial. A new administration is likely to put the breaks on any major policy or programmtic changes… and on hiring… so if you are looking to get promoted, now, now, now is the time to hunt for that job.

Matthew W
    Participant

There is no specific timeline, GovLoop… at least, not that I’m aware of (if you gave a lot of money, well, then you get your post sooner… I’m sorry to sound cynical).

Margaret Salazar
    Participant

Interesting perspectives. Much of the hiring wave here at HUD is in our single family division, not surprisingly… but it’s not so much in response to the mortgage crisis, it’s homeownership promotion and FHA modernization that were pet projects of this administration before the mortgage meltdown. With new legislation and a new administration it will be interesting to see whether some domestic agencies like HUD are slashed or bolstered. But overall that’s good to know — people fill positions at the end of an administration.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.