Emergency Essential (EE) deployable positions – What do you know? Please share your knowledge and answer these questions.

Home Forums Careers Emergency Essential (EE) deployable positions – What do you know? Please share your knowledge and answer these questions.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 7 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Natia Johnson
    Participant

I am trying to determine if accepting an emergency essential position in Iraq or Afghanistan is worth it (pay and safety is my main concern). The position is for 13 months and I will return to my current position at the end of the temporary term. I will be on official TDY status if I accept the position.

Please share your knowledge with me. I do not know what the living conditions are like… Are 1102 (contracting) civilians placed in a decent living space? Is it somewhat safe? I know that it’s not completely safe in Iraq or Afghanistan, but is it somewhat safe?

How does the danger pay and foreign pay work?

Were you able to negotiate your salary? I understand that many are offered a temporary grade level increase, but if you are already at the highest grade level offered, do you negotiate steps?

Any information that you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

I’ve had a few friends that have done it. I’m pretty sure it’s tax free as well. They all said kind of what I expected – it’s safe once your are on base, there are always risk with transportation but that comes and go. It’s kind of boring but you make a lot of money (rooms for extra hours at overtime, no taxes, all meals are there so no real way to spend money)

Natia Johnson
    Participant

One thing I read on OPM and was told by HR is that all salary and additional pay is taxable. So, Uncle Sam will definitely get his cut.

I’m happy to hear that your friends felt safe while they were there. Thank you so much for sharing.

Do you know if they were able to take showers or if the bathing options were limited? I don’t know if there are showers or buckets of water (lol).

Just shared your question in our Federal Recruiters group, Natia! Hopefully, someone there will have some more information for you.

Natia Johnson
    Participant

Thank you Andrew!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.