Emoticons :) When Do You Use Them? Which Ones Are Your Favorite?

Home Forums Miscellaneous Emoticons :) When Do You Use Them? Which Ones Are Your Favorite?

This topic contains 24 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Allison Primack 8 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Paul Homan
    Participant

Signing off on personal emails, usually looks like this for me: 🙂 Paul. Especially when I a writing a quick email that could possibly be read as short or curt. I also tend to use emoticons when I am g-chatting with my co-workers or texting with my friends. But I think we can all agree that emoticons can be overused, and there are a ton out there that I have never even seen before.

I would love to know your thoughts about emoticons!

“Emoticons are an attempt to put a human face on faceless, quick communication.” – from the book, Send: Why People Email so Badly and How to do it Better by David Shipley and Will Schawble

SO! EMOTICONS: ) When Do You Use Them? Which Ones Are Your Favorite?

Allison Primack
    Participant

I am definitely guilty of overusing emoticons. My most used by far are…

🙂 = smiley, 😉 = wink, 🙁 = frown, ;( = crying, :/ = uncertain

I try not to use them in emails, but I use them in chat, texting, and social media sites.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

mainly a 🙂 type of guy…

Terrence Hill
    Participant

I strictly use emoticons in instant messages. I’m not sure why, but it seems to make the curt messages a little more friendly, plus it can convey my sentiments, which don’t always get transmitted in an IM. MS Communicator/Linc has a nice selection to choose from. My fav is the little computer that lets people know I’m working from home.

I use 🙂

It helps to make a stern message a wee more friendly. I also use it to create a inviting atmosphere. It’s takes the place of the smile you normally would receive during a face-2-face interaction.

Ashley Fuchs
    Participant

I like to use emoticons (probably a bit too much) to make a quick communication look more “friendly” whether email or chat.

🙂 😉 and :] are my favorites

In Lync Comm I like to use the rainbow and big smiley to covey gratitude, the martini glass for thumbs up (implying “great idea!” you deserve a martini,) and the puppy face for confusion. It helps that everyone in my work group has a fun personality and we talked about what each of the little icons might mean and agreed upon a few for certain situations.

I don’t use emoticons with people I don’t know.

Ex: I wouldn’t sent a martini icon to a member of another work group.

🙂

Paul Homan
    Participant

What does a martini icon look like?

Stefany M. Mercer
    Participant

I <3 [heart] emoticons! They really add tone to e-communications.

My personal fave: O.o<—that loveable head-cocked-to-the-side-‘huh?’-look that can be cynical, confused, worried, inquisitive, or condescending depending upon the context. 😀

Cheers,

Stefany

Stefany M. Mercer
    Participant

You raise a good point, Terry. I always hesitate to use emoticone in official/professional communication unless I am very close to or really know the recipient. However, as far as cool emoticons go, Skype has some really aweseome ones – like the exploding angry face! *nod,nod*

~Stefany

Shannon Kennedy
    Participant

I was once asked if something was wrong after sending a text to a friend. I said “I’m great! Why?” and they replied “Well you didn’t have a smiley in your last text, I was worried something was terribly wrong!”

Needless to say, I like my emoticons. I even take the smiley a step further…I give it a nose: :o)

Ashley Fuchs
    Participant

In Lync Comm it’s a graphic icon 🙂

Ashley Fuchs
    Participant

oh I love the <3 too!

Paul Homan
    Participant

Nice! I was going to be really impressed by a martini that was created using letters and characters.

Jay Johnson
    Participant

Am I the only one that uses the 🙂 form of the smiley?

Well. I never use it. Mainly because it takes 3 key strokes to make it. I’m more accustomed to just 2 key stroke smileys.

Ashley Fuchs
    Participant

|–<*

Sort of martini like 🙂

Gigi Bryant
    Participant

I use them frequently on Facebook and in texts. However, my personal opinion is that it does not project a very professional image to use them in work related emails. I was taught to separate work and personal relationships so the “me” outside of work is recognized, on FB especially, by signing off with a 🙂 but the “me” at work signs everything with a Very Respectfully.

Kathleen Schafer
    Participant

I agree that sometimes in delivering a message electronically it can be taken more harshly than you want and that Emoticons can help communicate your true emotional state. I have, however, learned the hard way that if I want to be sure my feelings are accurately communicated I either pick-up the phone or have a face-to-face conversation–yes, very retro AND often a important leadership choice to make!

Ali
    Participant

I rarely use them in e-mail, but use them all the time in chat. My favorites by far are 🙂 and ;).

Kevin Lanahan
    Participant

I always include the dash in the smiley. Noses are important!

Paul Homan
    Participant

🙂 Takes too much effort, because you have to lift off the shift key to make the nose.

Dory Dahlberg
    Participant

Glad to see Stefany’s 😀 as I use that a lot too, mainly in situations when I’m happier or more excited than just the polite :-).

Would this be a hi five? ^5

😀

Miriam Morehead
    Participant

I use them sometimes in my professional responses, usually 🙂 because I’m attempting to soften the blow. Also, I have students that I mentor and so emoticons are a must.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

I’m with you. I use it to soften the blow in tone to make sure people realize it. But I go back and forth if it looks unprofessional.

Carol Davison
    Participant

Virutally every email I send begins “Good Afternoon Steve!” because it is upbeat. Communicaiton can be taken negatively and I want to prevent that from happening.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.