Filtering the Socialsphere

Home Forums Technology Filtering the Socialsphere

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Cottle 5 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Mark Sullivan
    Participant

If you are like me, you scour numerous social networks, blogs, and online news sources for the latest ideas, trends, an innovations. I’ve tried many tools to draw out the most useful information with the least time and effort, but still have a hard time keeping up.

Which filtering tools do you find the most useful?

…and perhaps on the flip side, when you’ve got something interesting to share, how do you make sure you don’t get filtered out?

Steve Cottle
    Participant

This is something I struggle with, too. Google’s RSS reader works decently for my purposes when I’m trying to keep an eye out for something in particular. However, what I love about Twitter is that it exposes me to articles and topics I didn’t know I was looking for. I was on the fence about it, until I realized it could help remove my “blinders”. The danger here, of course, is that I keep following new sources and eventually need to find a way to filter that, too…

Dick Davies
    Participant

I use Reader a lot more than Google Plus streams. I use LinkedIn as my peoplesearch engine, and Twitter almost exclusively for outbound.

Mark Sullivan
    Participant

I’ve spent a few weeks pondering this…

On the technical side I use Signal and ‘LinkedIn Today’ on LinkedIn, groups for Facebook, and a host of lists on Twitter.

However, what I’ve come to realize is that, mostly, I’m relying on trusted individuals as my main filters. When it comes right down to it, I value people more than I value technology.

Consider the following experiment: look at the number of responses to discussions and blog posts here on GovLoop. Then track which ones get highlighted in the GovLoop Daily email, Weekly Top 20 or Daily Top 10, and whether there is a subsequent ‘bump’. I’ll bet that we’ll find that it’s the trusted opinions of people rather than tools and technology that drive us towards interesting and useful content.

William Lim
    Participant

I see the same thing. While there are certain email lists and websites I check regularly regardless of the content posted on any particular day, I’ve come to rely on my Facebook news feed and my friends who are posting interesting links or updates as my primary inbound filter. I feel comfortable that I have a wide enough circle of Facebook friends with diverse enough opinions that I’m not in an information silo (or filter bubble as Eli Pariser puts it).

Chris Cairns
    Participant

I still rely most heavily on Google RSS reader. Few folks told me that they use Facebook in lieu of Google RSS Reader.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.