Good Bye, Good Friends: What Would Be the Impact of a 10% Force Reduction in Your Office?

Home Forums Human Resources Good Bye, Good Friends: What Would Be the Impact of a 10% Force Reduction in Your Office?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Henry Brown 5 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Each week, GovLoop partners with the Washington Post to ask a tough question. This week’s question is:

How would a 10 percent staff reduction affect you?

A measure approved by the House Budget Committee last week would reduce the federal workforce by 10 percent by 2015, Eric Yoder reported Tuesday in Federal Eye.

The reductions would come through attrition and reorganization, and the plan specifies that only one employee would be hired for every three who leave.

What would such a reduction mean for working conditions in your agency?

We want to hear how shrinking the federal workforce as the Budget Committeee recommended would affect you and your colleagues for this week’s Federal Buzz question.

You can weigh in here, anonymously to [email protected], on the Washington Post, or on Twitter using the hashtag #FedBuzz.

Henry Brown
    Participant

Probably NOT as much of an impact as the headline indicates, suspect that IF it ever gets into law, that there will be enough waivers that the number will probaby be a lot lower. And reducing the federal workforce without reducing the contractor’s is probably just an exercise in musical chairs, as far as costs.

Jeff S
    Participant

Increased workload for the remaining staff but it would not be tough to absorb that.

Julie Chase
    Participant

A reduction in force would slow production to a crawl in the “blue collar” sector of government. The GS’ that support the WG’s with admin duties will be RIF’d BEFORE the production folks. Having been through a BRAC, this is where it gets ugly. Most of the GS’ are not vets….so bye-bye. Then what is left of the WG’s on the shop floor, some are moved into the “office” to “help out” with admin duties, since there aren’t anymore admins. Less help on the shop floor slows production. Whether you are refitting/repairing/maintaining Harriers, Osprey’s, Ships, Subs, Minesweepers, Fleet Vehicles/Equipment, or repairing the HVAC on Bldg. 1700…there will be tickets that go unanswered. It is happening now with the hiring freeze. The retiring boom has hit tsunami strength and no one is being hired to replace the workers. Work is doubled up and/or tag teamed. Admins are being moved from their office and “borrowed” to another office to help out. We are grateful we are “working”. DoD, more than any other gov agency is on the smack down list. So we hang on tight and hold each other up.

Went through many layoffs in private sector. Sometimes I was hit in first wave and sometimes later. During all those downsizings, mergers, buyouts that happened through the years. Personally found it more stressful getting left behind than getting laid off because you still had that hammer hanging over your head and you had to watch friends and colleagues leaving.

I work for the Park Service and we don’t have huge budgets to begin with. My orginization has a handful of key personnel paid from operating funds. Losing one of those people would have a huge impact on our program. The rest are terms and seasonals, paid from grants, donations, and special funding sources

Allison Primack
    Participant

John shared the following response on GovLoop’s LinkedIn, which I wanted to share:

John Lucien Grillo, CFMI work as a member of a facility operations team and our focus is maximizing the potential of the built environment so that the occupants can work more efficiently and comfortably. The greatest difficulty in losing a member of our team would be rebuilding relationships with our customers. When a colleague specializes in dealing with a particular aspect of the facility or with a specific section of the organizaiton, it is challenging to maintain a positive level of trust with the clients.

I have personally had a great degree of success in this arena, so if anyone in GovLoop wants advice – feel free to send me a message.

John Lucien Grillo
    Participant

Thanks Allison!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.